No announcement yet.

Woodsman Broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats why i will stick with a two blade with my setup. But i might try a head with small bleeders, like magnus stinger or the dirtnapgear drt's with bleeders.

May look into a three blade once i reach 50+ lbs

Comment

By the way DRT.

The 3 blade broadhead I used in that video is the exact same length, and cutting diameter as the ones you have now. Getting a larger diameter 3 blade head isn't necessary.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        The only advantage a 2 blade (might) have over a 3 blade is better penetration for lower energy bows, when the broadhead encounters a hard surface such as bone.

Other than that the 3 blade beats the two blade hands down if you have the energy to push it, and most hunting weight trad bows, with sufficient weight arrows do.

Here's a video illustration a 2 blade cut compared to a 3 blade cut. Should be an eye opener.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
        I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

EDIT:
        A single bevel 2 blade will improve upon the opening of the cut, but still not near as good as a 3 blade. The 3 blade won't kill any better, or quicker, but it provides a much better chance for a good blood trail.

Rick
        Great video Rick! I had not seen that before....

I shoot Woodsman and Snuffers....I have just always liked them. I am sharpening challenged and I am able to get them sharp easily. On the older Woodsman (from 10-12 yrs ago) they were pretty rough out of the pack and took some work to get the surfaces level. I used a belt sander to "grind" them into shape and get them evened out. Then used a 10" DMT Duosharp Fine/Coarse stone to finish them up...and as several have mentioned use a file to pyramid the point to keep it from curling...

I haven't used the newer version of the Woodsman, but I hear they are much better out of the package....

Comment

Maybe but if I can get an inch and three eighths I will take that over an inch and one eighth.

I've killed a lot of animals with bows over the years. I've tried many different heads and styles of heads. I'll take a bigger cut any day. Especially on a marginal hit.

Trouble is I can't use a Rage head with a trad bow so I have to find the most adequate alternative.

I got three of them sharpened up and ready to hunt. Hopefully soon they can get a chance to draw blood.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I definitely need to get a better sharpening system. My diamond stone is great for knives and did okay but all I had was a small Arkansas stone.

This obsession is expensive.

Comment

Gary, withing reason, I'm a believer that the width/diameter of the wound is much less important than the depth of the wound.

As long as the exterior wounds are sufficient to allow good blood flow from the interior wound channel, then you are going to have a good blood trail.

A hole the size of your little finger, that is deep, or all the way through, and stays open will put a lot of blood on the ground.

Trust me, I've killed a ton of critters with 1-1/8" diameter 3blade heads (mostly pigs with thick fat/shields), and I always had great blood trails with them.

Rick

Comment

I don't mind the smaller hole shooting from elevated positions where I get a low exit. I'm looking forward to trying these out. However Montecs come out of the package hunting sharp. Basically the same design. These heads could as well if the company wanted to.

Comment

And just for the record a slice through the livery 2+" wide kills a deer quick and leaves a great blood trail. Something you won't get with this tiny head.
                  But at least it will be a hole not a slot.

Comment

I killed over 30 pigs in 1.5 years with the VPA 3 blade 175gr 1-18" diameter cut. 19 of those with the same head & arrow, and 21 with the same head.

All except 5 or 6 of those were killed from the ground. All had great blood trails, and many of them died so quick, that a blood trail wasn't needed.

Here's a picture of just one of the many, that didn't go far. He crumpled, and never moved from the spot I shot him in.

Rick
                    Attached Files

Comment

May be all for naught anyway. Since I picked job the traditional bows the pigs have not given me a chance.

I killed a bunch with Thunderheads and Montecs myself. They work. These should do fine.

Comment

Take a good look at that hole.
                        It's the entry wound.

Although a blood trail wasn't needed here, I am certain there would have been a good one "IF" he had covered any ground.

Rick
                        Attached Files

Comment

My point is - Don't worry about it. Those heads will do you good, and then some.

Rick

Comment

I believe you.

Comment

One of my favorite heads was the old 160gr Thunderhead.
                              They were much wider cut than these VPA's, but in all honesty, they didn't work any better than the VPA for killing, or blood trail.

Rick

Comment

I know you believe me. I'm just trying to give/show you some examples to set your mind at ease.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X