No announcement yet.

Medicineman's 2017 season as live as possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made it up to the lodge and got unpacked. Hanging out on the porch watching the rain, listening to the thunder, and feeding the local turkey population!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a good time so far.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Setting in parking lot waiting on guides to roll in, breathing in the nice crisp 38 degree temps . Weather is supposed to be great today and the views can't get much better. Been pouring rain the last four days and have had bears laid up so hopefully they will moving today!

Comment

Hope so. Looking forward to LDPs.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds great. Good luck!!

Comment

No luck so far this morning. Going to back side of mountain to give it a whirl. The scenery is unreal. Will get some pics up this evening when I get back to civilization!

Comment

Good luck.... looking forward to the pics.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Just came from chama and the best place to bear hunt is at any trash can in town. They are having issues in town this fall and people are playing hell keeping their trash contained there. Check the Subway dumpster, lol! That's the best bear spot in town.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                      Just came from chama and the best place to bear hunt is at any trash can in town. They are having issues in town this fall and people are playing hell keeping their trash contained there. Check the Subway dumpster, lol! That's the best bear spot in town.

We hunted around Taos today and was told the game warden had shot 4 problem bears over the last week around town . Probably the reason we struck out up in the mountains! The way they talked, we will be hunting around Chama tomorrow.

3 bears were treed today, one big boar, a sow, and a cub. Another hunter shot the boar (beautiful cinnamon phase bear) and the other two were left alone. The dogs in the truck I was riding in struck twice, but neither led very far off the trails before they went cold due to the wet weather from the last couple days. I did nearly get a shot at some grouse as we were heading down the mountain, but they didn't stick around long enough for me to get my bow strung and glove on. Hopefully our luck will run better tomorrow! Until then, here's a couple shots from today.

I was amazed when we pulled in and they let all the dogs out of multiple trucks to run a bit and do there business. Every single one could be called by name and would come alone to the truck to get their collars put on and would load in either the box or on top as they were told to do. What really impressed me was on our two strikes when they were sounding off like crazy, we got out of the truck and my guide "curly" said "hush!" One time and they all went silent while one or two was unhooked to look for sign.

This last picture was prolly my favorite of the day with the sun shining down over the mountains and the dogs in the back of the truck truly doing what they love to do.

Comment

On a side note, my guide was really questioning me about my longbow while we were driving around and said he'd always been interested in shooting one and had thought about getting a recurve a couple times. After the failed attempt on the grouse, I screwed one Judo point, knocked the arrow and handed him the bow. He was a bit hesitant at first so I took it back and slung one at a leaf on the edge of the mountain about 14 yards away and missed it an inch or two left. I went and got the arrow, nocked it again, and handed it back to him and promised him he wasn't going to hurt a thing. So, he stepped back to where I was (which did worry me since he'd never shot a stickbow before), drew back and only missed the leaf by a few inches. I retrieved the arrow again and gave to him for another try and he hit nearly the same spot as the first. After a third attempt and another close hit, he was hooked! The whole way back down the mountain all he talked about was that bow and how he needed one! [emoji16]

In saying all that, it made me realize that there are no telling how many folks out there that would love to give trad gear a try and just need that chance given to them. I've let no telling how many folks shoot my bows and have similar reactions for Curly's and say they were going to have to get a trad bow, but something about today's experience was just different seeing his enthusiasm of shooting and getting so close to hitting that leaf. Even when we made it back to town to meet the rest of the groups, the first thing he told the other guys was he was going to get a Longbow and they he could actually shoot one and hit with it!! Definitely made my day even though I didn't get a crack at a bear!

Comment

Enjoying following along....awesome pics too!

Comment

Good stuff!! Hope you have good luck today.

Comment

Beautiful country... I bet Curly gets even more amped when he sees you knock a bear out of a tree with one.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

KEEP AFTER THEM SHILOH!!! Thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Working...
                                X