Rattling for Deer East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
    A deep creek, ditch, river, etc. something not easy for them to cross or offers resistance in order to cross.
    Well we don't have a river but several creeks. But the deer cross them no problem. I figured that's what he meant but I guess I'm just not really understanding if you're on the edge of a creek or ditch how does that keep a buck from running up behind you and winding you

Comment

I've rattled in countless bucks in East Texas over the years. I always try to set up directly upwind of an active scrape on a calm morning with a slight breeze. I rattle for about 15-20 seconds, then repeat about 20 minutes later. Most bucks come in right after the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
        What kind of barrier are we talking. I think a buck could get through anything on my lease.
        A river, lake, swamp, steep creek bank, deep ditch, steep hill, anything that can keep them from circling downwind of you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Works great in certain areas and have to know how, I use cover scents and lots of it. Scent web puts off strong scent I like it. I killed a 157 last year rattling on thanksgiving morning.

Comment

Absolutely works. Last week of Oct thru the first 7-10 days of Nov. My best morning I rattled in 5 different bucks. My son said it was just like he sees on TV [emoji23]

Always start off soft in case they're close then progressively get louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just depends.. a lot of it has to do with your buck to doe ratio. If this is out of whack, the bucks don't have to "rut" as hard to breed does which means they aren't fighting as much because there are plenty of does to breed.

If your ratio is stronger, the bucks have to work harder (competition) to breed a doe.

4 years ago at our place I would have said hell no but now that ours is in check, it would be worth a try around the rut.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                I rattled up a 170" ten point outside of Bedias about 15 years ago. Only problem was he lived on the other side of a high fence that bordered the property I was hunting. Aside from that I've tried a few times with no success.
                That would have been a sight! Where was that at?

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                  That would have been a sight! Where was that at?
                  It was on a high school buddies grandparents property. I don't remember the name of the high fenced place that bordered it but it had dozens of species. Ended up costing us in the end. We got in the habit of looking toward the high fence when we would reach the opening where the box blind was. On the last morning we looked right toward the fence and didn't see anything. Started walking toward the blind and we look left to see a ten point about 130" staring at us. We freeze but he hit the gas and got out of there. Lost a deer we could've shot trying to look at animals we couldn't.

Comment

A handful of good ones in 30+yrs in leon co. Lots of 1.5's & 2.5's.
                    My wife even rattled a shooter in for my son once.
                    Definitely works on the right day or days and Worth a try when the conditions are right

Comment

Always have a grunt call at hand. It will help!

Comment

Deer are not smart they are just more in tune with their surroundings.

Rattling success will many times depend on buck to doe ratio. Also East TX is pretty thick in most areas so rattling may be working but you just never see the deer because they use the brush so sneak downwind of you and smell you before you ever see them. Timing is also very important, I've had most my success pre rut but have had success during the rut and post rut as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                          It was on a high school buddies grandparents property. I don't remember the name of the high fenced place that bordered it but it had dozens of species. Ended up costing us in the end. We got in the habit of looking toward the high fence when we would reach the opening where the box blind was. On the last morning we looked right toward the fence and didn't see anything. Started walking toward the blind and we look left to see a ten point about 130" staring at us. We freeze but he hit the gas and got out of there. Lost a deer we could've shot trying to look at animals we couldn't.
                          That would be my luck! I guess that's another reason not to put a blind near a fence.

Comment

Have had better luck using a canned doe bleat and grunt calls together.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Much more success in mornings for me it's probably 10:1 am vs pm

Comment

Working...
                                X