Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far can 17hmr bullet travel in ricochet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    I couldn't remember if it was 3/4 of a mile or a mile but either way that's a long ways out there

I think as long as you stay away from FMJ's and stick to the bullets that shatter on impact you won't have any problems. Bullet fragments will be all there is to ricochet anywhere.
    Fragments flying everywhere is a little scary in itself. I've been in two situations in my life where I was being 'compromised' from stray bullets from a long ways away. Very scary and I don't wish it upon anyone.

Be safe and responsible out there.

Comment

I've done a good bit of shooting at water with tracers. The majority of the bullets fly straight up after hitting the water. At a very low angle they tend to skip once and continue on.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        Fragments flying everywhere is a little scary in itself. I've been in two situations in my life where I was being 'compromised' from stray bullets from a long ways away. Very scary and I don't wish it upon anyone.

Be safe and responsible out there.

I understand that, to b clear it wasn't I shooting it was someone licensed and insured thru the state to eradicate problem animals. We just basically have a jack wagon old timer causing a stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats a perfect round for beavers. Fragile bullet doesnt do much after first impact.

Comment

I have read before that if a bullet hits the water at an angle at or above 10*, it won't ricochet. Sounds like your guy shouldn't get a ricochet.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
              mile(for .22lr)

I've always heard that, but I've tried to shoot them across a 3/4 mile wheat field and they didn't get very close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X