6mm vs. .243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6mm vs. .243

Is there a difference between a 6mm and a .243? I was recently told that a 6mm would shoot a .243 shell...

the .243 is 6.17 mm so actualy just a shade larger using a unit converter, but I have herd that a .243 is a 6mm.

Just be safe and only shoot ammo that is designated for the gun you are shooting, no reason to kill yourself just on a hunch.

Comment

They shoot the same bullet. 243 is a winchester round while the 6mm is Remington. The typical twist in a 243 was designed for 85 gr bullets. 6mm barrels had twists that were better for 100 gr bullets.

Comment

I believe that the bullet diameter is basically the same, but the cartridge is different. A .243 cartridge is actually a .308 cartridge necked down to accept a .243 bullet.

A 6mm will shoot .243 ammo, but a .243 will not shoot a 6mm ammo.
        Last edited by StevenW; 11-07-2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

ballistically they are the same. dimensionally, they are different.
          do NOT try to interchange the ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by bily lovec View Post
            ballistically they are the same. Dimensionally, they are different.
            Do not try to interchange the ammo.
            fact!

Comment

Thanks... That is what I was thinking... I asked my wife to stop and pick a box of 6mm up, and the guy at Sports Authority in Humble tried to sell her a box of .243...

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                ballistically they are the same. dimensionally, they are different.
                do NOT try to interchange the ammo.
                what he said!

Comment

Originally posted by dswaim View Post
                  Thanks... That is what I was thinking... I asked my wife to stop and pick a box of 6mm up, and the guy at Sports Authority in Humble tried to sell her a box of .243...
                  The bullets are the same diameter but they are different. A .222 and a .223 and a .22-250 all shoot a .224 diameter bullet but I wouldn't put a .223 or .222 into a .22-250 chamber! Same with the 6mm and .243.

Comment

a 6mm is a 244 i would not mix the ammo

Comment

guy at Sports Authority needs the sh... urrr ...uhhh... snot slapped out of him! idiot!

Comment

243Win==necked down 308Win

6mmRem==necked down 7x57

They are NOT intherchangable. A rifle chambered in one will not safely fire the other. In fact, I don't think the shoulder dimensions will allow you to fully chamber either in the other.

The twist rates were different when the 6mm was introduced at the 244Rem. When the 243Win started proving more popular because it could handle the heavier bullets, Remington changed the standard twist allowing it to stabilize heavier bullets. Now I believe the factory offerings have the same twist and are virtually interchangeable. They both shoot the exact same diameter bullet.

Comment

They are totally different. Do not mix or try to shoot a 6mm in a 243.

The casings are not the same.The neck on the 6mm is longer than the 243.
                          And yes a 6mm is a 244 When you reload, you still buy the same diameter bullet for both. Please , please don't do it. The counter help has been known to not know what they are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by CDH View Post
                            Now I believe the factory offerings have the same twist and are virtually interchangeable. They both shoot the exact same diameter bullet.
                            I should clarify that the PERFORMANCE is virtually interchangeable...they throw the exact same bullet at very close to the same velocities.

Comment

Originally posted by CDH View Post
                              243Win==necked down 308Win

6mmRem==necked down 7x57

They are NOT intherchangable. A rifle chambered in one will not safely fire the other. In fact, I don't think the shoulder dimensions will allow you to fully chamber either in the other.

The twist rates were different when the 6mm was introduced at the 244Rem. When the 243Win started proving more popular because it could handle the heavier bullets, Remington changed the standard twist allowing it to stabilize heavier bullets. Now I believe the factory offerings have the same twist and are virtually interchangeable. They both shoot the exact same diameter bullet.

X2. The .243 is more versital 58 grain-105 gr. 6MM 80 grain- 105 gr. in my loading manual They will both do a superb job. It will probably be easyer to find 243 ammo anywhere you go than 6MM .

Comment

Working...
                              X