Recommend a 150gr broadhead for elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a 150gr broadhead for elk

I'm shooting a 45# Bear Grizzly. My current set up with 150gr heads shoots great. Obviously they have to fly good, but what are some recommendations for heads to use on elk. What have you used successfully in the past? I've been blessed to take two bulls in the last two years. Both were taken under 35 yards with a compound. I may not stick with it all week, but I do want to take the recurve to start with.

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Magnus makes a 150 grain Stinger. I can't see how that would be a bad choice. I shoot 135 grain Zwickey's and just add two 5 grain brass washer's to make them 145 grains like my field tips. That's what I'll use I imagine, unless I end up elk hunting with a different setup for some reason.

Comment

I've killed two bulls with Trad bows and 150gr Magnus 2-Blade heads.

Comment

German Kinetics. Fly like my field tips

Last edited by bermise; 07-07-2017, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Or a 250 grain

Comment

150 grain

Strickland's Archery Helix 150 grain Single Bevel Broadhead
            Super accurate, .072 blade thickness, no vented blades, 1 5/16" cut, American made, affordable

Also look at Cutthroat Broadheads. Single Bevel forged out of one piece.
            Last edited by Boss Gobbler; 07-07-2017, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I use both German Kinetics and Magnus Stingers. For an elk, I would use either, but prefer the GK,

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
                While this is a great head, there is no way I would use it off of a 45# bow for an elk! Stick with the 1 1/8" wide head at 45# for better penetration in a big animal like an elk.

Bisch

Comment

I really like VPA broadheads. I shoot the 150 grain 2 blade and it flies great and is very very tough. They are the easiest head to sharpen also.

Comment

Stingers work great. They fly good, penetrate good, sharp out of the package, easy to resharpen, pretty durable, lifetime warranty. I actually have three that I am about to send back to be sharpened or replaced before the season starts.

If you want to get a little crazy and spend more I would be looking at Iron Will rather than German Kinetics.
                    Last edited by Felix40; 07-07-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks all! I've looked at both the Stinger and Helix. Any thoughts or experience with the single bevel heads?

Comment

A lot of elk have been killed with the Bear Razor heads.

Comment

Working...
                        X