Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a bareshaft centripetally oscillate when shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a bareshaft centripetally oscillate when shot?

The reason I ask is regard to fletching. Furthermore, is a centripetally motivated oscillating shaft enhanced or detracted by wing of the same curve?

What say yall?

Depends on the angle of the dangle I suppose.

Comment

Ok I'll go out on a limb here as its 0200 hrs, I've been up since 0600 hrs yesterday, and I had to use the dictionary.

So are you are asking does an unfletched arrow rotate? And does it get better or worse if you add fletching that rotates it the same direction that it naturally wants to without feathers?

I figure the arrow will rotate in one direction or another. I don't know it the rotation would be affected by the earth's rotation as water down the drain or by a person release right or left handed.

It would take a high speed camera to tell I imagine.

If it made much of a difference if any I am sure that some Olympic coach would have figured it out as they use those cameras.

You asked a question that I doubt very few have wondered about and 98% of us on here probably don't understand.

Comment

Enhanced. Absolutely. Basic aerodynamic theory at work.

Comment

Everyone knows the answer to that

Comment

Whaaaaat?

Comment

I don't even know how to pronounce centripetally.

Comment

Someone learned a new word. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

No, the whole arrow tumbles head over heels at that point. It all depends on what phase the moon is in at the precise time you shoot.
                  Reason being is that the gravitational pull of the earths rotation drastically effects it. Keep this in mind- very important- if you don't set your clock back this Sunday and change your feeder times, the arrow flight won't be effected. Wait, maybe you set it forward. I'm gonna set mine sideways this year.......

Comment

Can't address the OP's question but...

The twister nocks start the arrow off with a bit of spin?

Obviously you'd want the helical of the fletching to match the twist rate imparted to the bare shaft.

(Does it matter? IDK.)

Comment

No. There is no significant force vector present to induce noticeable rotation. You should be able to prove this to yourself easily.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

An arrow may be predisposition to spin during flight from shaft asymmetry (out of round), a less than perfectly straight arrow (even carbon) or poor nock/insert alignment. Vanes, feathers, etc., stabilize the arrow and forces it to spin more consistently. I have put wraps on bareshafts to get the same weight as fletched arrows and if the wrap has a logo, it is often not in the same position in the target as it was on the bow.

Comment

A bare shaft will rotate the direction the string is twisted, as stated above this was determined by high speed photography and I just heard about this a month or so ago. Some of the big target shooters are actually matching helical fletching and the direction of the string twist. I have not personally seen the video but a mark of somekind was put on the shaft to make it more visible to determine rotation direction.

Comment

I shoot primitive bows and arrows. My head hurts just trying to figure out what the heck you are getting at. Put the arrow on the string pull the bow back and let her ride. That is my two cents or maybe 4 well a nickels worth anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowe View Post
                              A bare shaft will rotate the direction the string is twisted, as stated above this was determined by high speed photography and I just heard about this a month or so ago. Some of the big target shooters are actually matching helical fletching and the direction of the string twist. I have not personally seen the video but a mark of somekind was put on the shaft to make it more visible to determine rotation direction.
                              So basically now I have order strings based my chosen helical direction so they won't dynamically opposed to each other?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X