No announcement yet.

Coyote facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he'd have said they won't eat calves that would be more believable. At least for me. I know guys that have ran cattle their whole life and they'll all tell you coyotes take the rap for what feral dogs do most of the time. I coyote might stand there and watch a calf hit the ground but more than likely it's there for the after birth. A momma cow would stomp a coyote flat if it messed with her baby.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      If he'd have said they won't eat calves that would be more believable. At least for me. I know guys that have ran cattle their whole life and they'll all tell you coyotes take the rap for what feral dogs do most of the time. I coyote might stand there and watch a calf hit the ground but more than likely it's there for the after birth. A momma cow would stomp a coyote flat if it messed with her baby.
      Around here Buzzards kill as many or more calves than any predator does.. They sit waiting for it to hit the ground..

Comment

For generations people learned what they about wildlife from what they could personally observe, the last few generations have been mostly removed from this and have been conditioned to rely on what is taught to us by "experts". Unfortunately, many times the "expert" is a 3rd grade teacher with an agenda. An old man set in his ways isn't likely to change his mind, do yourself and the rest of the world a favor, go find and teach what you know to a bunch of 3rd graders.

Comment

A study was just done in Wisconsin on fawn survival during the first 5 months. Roughly 1/3 of them died and the #1 reason was coyotes.

Comment

I too have had yotes come in to Rattling and Grunt calls. Both times this season I was not able to get the bow drawn back in time to put them down. But they are about to get all of my attention in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              Around here Buzzards kill as many or more calves than any predator does.. They sit waiting for it to hit the ground..
              My cousin was a beef cattle then went dairy. we were talking once and he commented that our original buzzards (turkey buzzards) wouldn't bother his calves, but he Mexican buzzards would go after them as they were calving. Finally realized he was talking about Black buzzards. Seems they are more aggressive. I'm having visions like the western movies where the guy in the desert sees buzzards circling, only they are landing and starting on you before you are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                My cousin was a beef cattle then went dairy. we were talking once and he commented that our original buzzards (turkey buzzards) wouldn't bother his calves, but he Mexican buzzards would go after them as they were calving. Finally realized he was talking about Black buzzards. Seems they are more aggressive. I'm having visions like the western movies where the guy in the desert sees buzzards circling, only they are landing and starting on you before you are dead.
                Yes and they go for the eyeballs first.. Its horrible.. They eat those calves alive..

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  Even more likely the coyote is there for the baby calf crap. They love it.

Comment

Coyotes and bobcats will kill out tons of deer. Axis deer are not native, ask anyone who has exotics and what their kill ratio is on fawns and grown deer!!! Some have had entire herds wiped out.

Your deer will also avoid an area with a lot of predators. Remove the predators and the deer move back in and actually survive to reproduce.

Comment

Here is one for Texas like you asked

"Diets of coyotes on the Rolling Plains Quail Research Ranch, Texas" is the name of the first recent publication I came across without searching very hard.

Just under 7% in the winter, and less than 1% in summer, mainly fawns in the summer obviously. My thoughts on this is to manage your land for the best quality habitat with the most diverse species of native plants out there. Coyotes and deer have lived together for hundreds of years and done fine until we started "managing" land with poor grazing decisions and hunting practices. Diverse vegetation gives you diverse wildlife and the coyote is going to go for whatever is available in front of it and if you can put more food on the menu, the chances are good that a fawn isn't going to be the only thing eaten and will be eaten less often.

I agree they eat them and have seen the pics but how many of those pics had fawns and no coyotes? I feel it is very similar to staying healthy, everyone wants the quick diet pill but the age old remedy is proper diet and exercise. Same thing with wildlife and livestock management, keep your numbers in check to allow for good healthy plants and for the most part you should be fine.

Comment

Why wouldn't they eat a fawn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Yes and they go for the eyeballs first.. Its horrible.. They eat those calves alive..
                          Yep. Worries me when I see 10 of them black headed buzzards surrounding a new calf and momma cow out in the pasture.

Comment

here are 5,000 words

show him this picture too
                            Last edited by Cajun Blake; 12-23-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Boom

Sent from my iPhone using Dilly Dilly!

Comment

I 100 % agree, but man, theres some things you just cant get into ppls head... I showed him pics. " well, the coyotes in my area don't " AHAHHAHAH

Comment

Working...
                                X