Progression of an Old East Texas Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progression of an Old East Texas Buck

Just wanted to share a few pics of a buck I've had on camera since 2014... figured him for a 5.5 yr old then, and have had him on camera every year since. Thot some folks would like to see it. He's been about the most unkillable deer I've ever hunted. Until yesterday, I've only gotten one daylight pic of him since 2014. I've done everything possible to get him killed (hand corn, hunted him in his bedroom, sat daylight to dark, sprayed down, hunted the right wind....) I honestly believe some deer turn nocturnal once they reach a certain age here in East Texas and the only way to kill one, is to be at the right place at the right time when he chases a doe by you.

If he keeps coming into this setup tho in daylight hours, he's gonna be in trouble. Time will tell i guess. Meet "Stumpy"
    Attached Files

He looks good this year, I hope you smoke him down!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck. I love having history on a deer for; especially when you do make the shot count...that will be a "real" trophy!

Comment

I had a deer on our east Texas lease we called grandpa. You could tell he was old, and just a 120" 8 point, but man I wanted that deer bad. He would come to the feeders at all hours up until the weekend before bow season would start then completely disappear until late January. None of us ever saw him in person.

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
          He looks good this year, I hope you smoke him down!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
          Thanks man I appreciate it. The crazy thing is, this buck has a completely different home range during the summer and winter. I own some land about 2.5 miles away on the West side of Lake Nac and around Mid October, he comes over there and stays until about March. The spot hes staying in now is on a big MLD hunting club on the East side of the lake. ( i guess when those rifles start popping he makes a beeline for my side and crosses a lake to do it)

Comment

He has got some good mass this year good luck

Comment

ahh the joys of east texas trophy hunting Lol !
              if you don't get lucky during the rut i would hunt hard late season especially muzzle loader season the woods are settling down not a lot of hunting pressure and the old boys get hungry and hit the corn in daylight

Comment

AHHHH! he is younger this year than in 2015! Ten year old stud right there. He very well may just get killable as all get out this year. we have had that happen several times when deer got really old.

Check out the age thread i posted a couple days ago.

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing. It wouldn't surprise me if Stumpy was a few years older than you've figured. Good luck getting him.

Comment

Heck of a deer! Good luck this year!

Comment

Nice. Cool seeing the year progression.

I love the history on deer. It's by far my favorite way of hunting. I enjoy the chase when I single out a buck that I've been watching for years.
                      If it wasn't for history giving me a big clue....I'd be off more on most of my age guesses.

Good luck this season.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                        Very nice, thanks for sharing. It wouldn't surprise me if Stumpy was a few years older than you've figured. Good luck getting him.
                        Yep. I bet he is ten plus. If the recent pic was posted without history,, there would be a bunch of 4 year old guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          Yep. I bet he is ten plus. If the recent pic was posted without history,, there would be a bunch of 4 year old guess.
                          Kinda why I posted it. I figured there'd be alot of people underage him. I know it's hard to age one this time of year, especially on just one pic.

Comment

That's pretty cool.
                            Seeing those pics in the woods reminds me of watching hunting shows.Sooo different from looking at 6' tall mesquites for miles!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

he is OLD

Comment

Working...
                              X