The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
    Of my currently open bourbons my favorites are Bookers, and Four Roses Single Barrel.

Scotch, The Macallan 18, Laphroaig 18, and Aberlour Abunadh. And for a wallet friendly pour Monkey Shoulder.

Mixing whiskey, Pendleton, Weller, and occasionally Dickel.
    B
    I've only read this ^ far into the thread but Booker's is by far the best out of all I've read here. And yeah, up to this point, I have tried them all. I'm gonna keep reading. Blanton's is a very good straight bourbon also.

Comment

Originally posted by HTDUCK View Post
      Good stuff right there. My everyday. Drink it neat.

Bookers, OMG the flavor !
      Blantons
      Knob Creek
      Woodfords

Haven't tried Rebecca Creek but I will.

This dude nailed it. RC can't hold a candle to your top three choices. I think a couple of the ones mentioned in other posts are Canadian Whiskey and not bourbons.
      Last edited by sckiller; 05-11-2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

How would yall say TX and Rebecca Creek compare?

Comment

Originally posted by CWP View Post
          Interesting report on a recent book about bourbon and market gimmicks:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...erican-whiskey
          Here's another one that has a bit to say about Rebecca Creek:

"His whiskey is a blend of an 8-year bourbon purchased from another distiller and, per a mandatory statement on the back label, 31-percent grain neutral spirit (GNS, vodka), along with a younger whiskey Cameron says they distill. Blenders, or spirit makers, aren't in any way obligated to spill the booze on their recipes. Cameron says that they produce and distill the "majority" of what goes into each bottle, which might include the GNS, since they also distill vodka at their facilities."

Original reporting and compelling writing on local news, restaurants, arts and culture have made the Dallas Observer a vital resource for readers who want to understand and engage with their community.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
            After opening up my Yellow Rose this evening, and it definitely didn't disappoint! Everyone who said it was good stuff was right on. I'm trying my hardest to find a whiskey that it tastes similar to, but I just can't put my finger on it. It doesn't have the sweetness and vanilla taste quite like Firestone and Robertson, but it also doesn't taste identical to Rebecca Creek, or any other Texas whiskey I've had. Guess I'll just have to get another bottle and try to figure it out!
            Glad you liked it! I plain love the stuff.

Comment

I picked up some of the Yellow Rose Double Barrel, Pretty Darn Good!!!
              Didn't know if I would like it , I am a Big TX fan but this is really good. Guess I will have to try the Outlaw next.

Comment

Originally posted by garby View Post
                Here's another one that has a bit to say about Rebecca Creek:

"His whiskey is a blend of an 8-year bourbon purchased from another distiller and, per a mandatory statement on the back label, 31-percent grain neutral spirit (GNS, vodka), along with a younger whiskey Cameron says they distill. Blenders, or spirit makers, aren't in any way obligated to spill the booze on their recipes. Cameron says that they produce and distill the "majority" of what goes into each bottle, which might include the GNS, since they also distill vodka at their facilities."

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2013-1...d-fakers/full/
                Check out what the same article says about 1835.

Take the whiskey called 1835, which is bottled by North Texas Distillers in Lewisville. The name is a salute to the year settlers in Gonzales stood their ground against Mexican troops in what is historically considered the start of the Texas Revolution. The label also reads, "Come and take it," on both the back and front, along with a picture of the iconic cannon that was the seed of the conflict. The words "Texas Made" are printed front and center on the label.

It's unlikely that a single speck of Texas, much less the battle of 1835, is actually in any of those bottles. Stretching the term "Made in Texas," the drink is a blend of whiskeys, most or all of them likely from Kentucky, and is only bottled in Texas. The highly astute label reader or whiskey aficionado would be able to discern this, but the average consumer might not. Despite all the Texas banter, the label lacks one key word that is all-telling: "distilled."

I wonder why there arent many texas distilled whiskeys?

Comment

I've been drinking JP Wisers lately.... wife likes it, so you know....

Comment

I wonder why there arent many texas distilled whiskeys?[/QUOTE]

Short answer, our weather isn't diverse enough to age the barrels to specs. That's what the people at Rebecca Creek told me during the tour I took. They sent there stuff up north to age.

Comment

Did the tour of garrison brothers last weekend and got a bottle of their single barrel. Good stuff I will say though it is actually cheaper to buy it at specs then at the distillery

Comment

My choices are:
                        Red Handed
                        Jeffersons
                        Angels Envy
                        Garrison Brothers

Comment

Makers 46
                          Makers
                          Pappy

Comment

Jim Bean Devil's Cut

Comment

This thread is dangerous! Went to Specs looking for Rowan but couldn't find it so I got a bottle of Yellow Rose. Son! This stuff is good! For the non-whiskey drinkers may I suggest William Wolf Pecan Burbon. Doesn't have the heat of normal whiskey and goes down reeaallyy smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                                This thread is dangerous! Went to Specs looking for Rowan but couldn't find it so I got a bottle of Yellow Rose. Son! This stuff is good! For the non-whiskey drinkers may I suggest William Wolf Pecan Burbon. Doesn't have the heat of normal whiskey and goes down reeaallyy smooth.
                                Which one did you get?

Comment

Working...
                                X