Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
    Finally got my butt to Cedar Breaks to get on draw list. I was 137.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Wow I was 129 at 11:00

Comment

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
      I wasn't exempt but the way I understand it the exempt people got to set up spots when they got their draw notification...thats over a month ahead of orientation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Oh ok well that's not too fair if that's what they did. Pretty much turns public hunting area in their own private land. Most have spots that will provide good numbers pretty much guarantee a shot opportunity and a return to hunt the next season.

Comment

If they do it the same as last year, exempts can start setting up feeders next week. Also if the same as last year, exempts will be able to review the slides via email and confirm understanding, no need to attend the full orientation, only need to show license, test, etc. requirements.

Comment

I just scouted my old spots and saw lots of does. No trail cameras up until we get notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Blacktail1 View Post
            If they do it the same as last year, exempts can start setting up feeders next week. Also if the same as last year, exempts will be able to review the slides via email and confirm understanding, no need to attend the full orientation, only need to show license, test, etc. requirements.
            This is what I thought as well. Exempts don't need to go to orientation. I'll double check with brad. Thanks

Comment

Has there been a drawing yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbousmc View Post
                Has there been a drawing yet?
                Not yet, well probably happen this week or next.

Comment

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
                  I wasn't exempt but the way I understand it the exempt people got to set up spots when they got their draw notification...thats over a month ahead of orientation.

I hope this isn't true, and just a rumor. Let me know what happens on orientation day.

May need to write my Congressman.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                    I hope this isn't true, and just a rumor. Let me know what happens on orientation day.

May need to write my Congressman.
                    I don't get what the problem is... Shoot a doe an you can do it also, its not that difficult. There is no shortage of good hunting spots to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                      There is no shortage of good hunting spots to choose from.
                      If that were the case, then every person that gets a permit would bag a deer ever year. There would also not have issues with blind placement and no need for approval on blind placement.

The bottom line if they are going to open this to the public, the standards for hunting need to be the same for all participants.

I'm guessing they still have the rules in place by how close you can set up to another Hunter's area, so by allowing one group to place their blinds in advance of others gives an unfair advantage to blind placement.

There are locations that are known to produce great opportunities to harvest a deer year in and year out. So, why should someone who harvested a deer the previous year, not have to compete with everyone who also drew a permit for locations to an area?

Comment

Brad just sent an email notifying the draw is on Monday the 17th. You don't have to be there and we will be notified by the 25th I believe kind of strange

Comment

If that were the case, then every person that gets a permit would bag a deer ever year. There would also not have issues with blind placement and no need for approval on blind placement.

The bottom line if they are going to open this to the public, the standards for hunting need to be the same for all participants.

I'm guessing they still have the rules in place by how close you can set up to another Hunter's area, so by allowing one group to place their blinds in advance of others gives an unfair advantage to blind placement.

There are locations that are known to produce great opportunities to harvest a deer year in and year out. So, why should someone who harvested a deer the previous year, not have to compete with everyone who also drew a permit for locations to an area?

x2

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                            x2
                            I think they are trying every method thry can in attempting to get the population control that they are looking for. I don't recall a time when the available number of tags were used.

Auto renewal of successful hunters, spike 1st (last year), and returning hunters getting to return to their spots.... they are just trying to improve success rate.

I'm ok with the rules, because they are in line with the purpose.... which is not really providing public hunts, but to reduce population.

(But I am a returning hunter, so maybe I am just biased)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                              I think they are trying every method thry can in attempting to get the population control that they are looking for. I don't recall a time when the available number of tags were used.

Auto renewal of successful hunters, spike 1st (last year), and returning hunters getting to return to their spots.... they are just trying to improve success rate.

I'm ok with the rules, because they are in line with the purpose.... which is not really providing public hunts, but to reduce population.

(But I am a returning hunter, so maybe I am just biased)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                              I'm a returning hunter this year, but I wasn't last year.

I scouted found a good spot that hadn't been hunted and killed a doe to cover me for this year.

I see both sides but I don't have an issue with the rules as they are.

Comment

OK. I get your point. But there are many hunters that only hunt 1-2 times and never go back out. So they probably don't shoot their doe. The parking area I use is virtually empty after the first few weeks of the season. The purpose of this hunt is population management, I see no problem with giving preference to people that actually meet those management goals every year.

Also, If someone doesn't mind walking and scouting...there is no shortage of hunting areas. If you walk in 20+ minutes along the Goodnight Trail in most areas, you won't see a single feeder.

Comment

Working...
                                X