Today was discouraging (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today was discouraging (long read)

Last week I was finally able to get my feeder and game cam set up on a friends place 10 minutes from the house. I put 100# in it just in case I needed to move it.
    As I park by the gate I see the landowner(I think) coming out to check her mail.
    I stop and say hi, she wasn't entirely sure who I was so I introduced myself and informed her why I was there.
    We go to Church together and her son in law gave me permission. She's real close to 80 years old. She got married in '50, husband this past June.
    She remembers seeing me in Church.
    When I told her I had a blind and deer feeder setup out back she said OH! I don't want no shooting out back. There's houses around. She than pointed out the houses.
    I apologized and told her that her son in law said it was ok for me too hunt.
    I has also looked at an Ariel map of the area identified the houses and set up the feeder and blind to keep my line of of fire away from the houses and towards the thickest part of the woods.
    She still was hesitant.
    I let her know that I'm also a former Marine and understand weapons safety and fields of fire.
    She said real slow well I guess if he said so it'll be ok.
    I apologized to her for causing her concern. I do have a bow and arrow and I'll get an elevated stand so my shots will be aimed more towards the ground.
    She was ok with that.
    We stood and talked for another 1.5 hours.
    She wanted to get her mail.
    I said I'd be happy to get it for her.
    When I got ah said she'd had a spell and asked me to drive her home, 100 yds maybe.
    I said absolutely let me bring my car around. I took her home and helped her to the house.

I jumped the fence and walked back to the where the feeder was trying to figure out where/how to get a platform or ladder stand. How I want to set it up. Like platform with a ladder, lock on with pegs.
    Ladder stand, 10', 15' or 20'.
    One or two man.
    I hadn't reached a decision yet when I got to the feeder.
    There's cows in the pasture I have permission to hunt.
    I was pleased to see it was still up. I was half expecting it to be down.
    It was still up!
    I saw corn on the ground, hopefully from the am feeding. Also checked for tracks, didn't see many. Grass is still up.
    I adjust the clock to account for daylight savings time. Turn down am feeding from 8 to 5 seconds. Turn pm feeding up from 8 to 10 seconds.
    Was going to change the batteries on my feeder light, but I forgot to turn it on

I've got 957 pics in 7 days.
    LOTS of cows which I expected.
    Saw 2 pigs and a group of 3 sometimes 4 deer. Coons too. Feeder has varmint cage.

As I get back to my car I text my friend asking if I could come over. He lives 2 blocks from where I was. He said sure.

I stop by and let him know the his MIL had a spell and I drove her home.

I told him the feeder was still standing.
    I've looked at a few pics from the trail cam and saw cows grazing under the feeder. Which I have 0 issue with. I asked if the corn will interfere with his feeding. This herd is his breeding herd and there 5 calves in their.
    He said the little bit of they'll get won't bother them.
    I've also been meaning to talk to you about the feeder.
    My heart sank.
    He goes on to say Me and some guys was talking last night about the pigs. We haven't been seeing much sign of them in the area.
    We don't know if it'd be a good idea to feed them. Your feeder's in my grazing pasture which is across the rd from one of my hay pastures. I don't want to draw them in and have them start rooting them up.
    Maybe if we set it up later in the year like fall time it'd be better.
    My brain said you coulda told me that last week.
    I said sounds good to me. Can i get it picked up tomorrow.
    He said that'd be fine. And reiterated that I DO have permission to hunt pigs and deer, in season, there.

My first experience with this. I was crestfallen but stayed positive.

I was looking to grabbing a chair and setting it up under a tree tonight and tomorrow. With the hope that, that big boar we have on camera would show up.

I didn't.

Yup, that was long.

Comment

Free place to hunt. Try not to get discouraged.

Comment

That's a lot of words. But you can still hunt free. So that's good.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

DANG.

Glad al is weeell

Comment

I,,, think my middle sister wrote this. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The way it played out was a bummer but the fact you have a place to hunt for free is still a positive. Lots of people would like the situation you are in.

Comment

Lol, explains the hour and half conversation

Comment

Can you put a pen around feeder and just feed deer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

The best part was when the stripper jumped out of the feeder and farted.

Comment

Uggghhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                        Can you put a pen around feeder and just feed deer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

That was discussed, he didn't seem overly keen on the idea so I choose not to push it. I'm not wanting to loose my sweet deal.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                          The best part was when the stripper jumped out of the feeder and farted.

It was! :-)
                          I'd never seen an antlered doe before :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                            Lol, explains the hour and half conversation

[emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Mac5dawg View Post
                              The way it played out was a bummer but the fact you have a place to hunt for free is still a positive. Lots of people would like the situation you are in.
                              Agreed. May not be exactly what you want, how you want it, but its free so be happy to just do whatever they allow. When you are paying its a whole other ball.game.

Comment

Working...
                              X