Less let = ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less let = ??

I have been shooting a G5 Quest Rogue for a few years now and have had zero reason for another compound. The fun thing to me about this bow is that I can change the draw cycle VERY easily.
    With that being said, I have been shooting a longbow that is within a couple pounds of my compound. ( LB = 65# compound 68#)
    I draw 27" on both bows.
    My question is, IF I change the set-up of my compound to basically not have any letoff do I gain any performance? Currently I get almost 80% let off, but would removing the drop out of weight gain any performance?

This is not a question built out of necessity. As the last couple seasons I have been using the Carnifour Broadhead from Grim Reaper and have yet to not get at least the head hanging out of the off side. Most shots are clean through.

I only want to know from someone who understands this stuff a little better then I do, if I gain anything by holding more weight in the backdraw? and is so is it marginal at best?

Thanks for the help.

I could be wrong but the way the cam rolls over I'm not sure you can go to zero let off. I'm interested to know myself.

Comment

I would say you would gain some, the only way to know how much would be to chrono it and see

Comment

In order to get no let off , unfortunately, I would set the draw length a little further, but keep the stop in place.. I think. Maybe?
        As long as that did not make the poundage come down any at my draw?
        Again just throwing out some food for thought right now. I do realize that by moving the draw further the cam rotation will not be complete, which gives us more let-off at the back of the rotation. Basically trying to stop the rotation at the top peak, just before break over.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
          In order to get no let off , unfortunately, I would set the draw length a little further, but keep the stop in place.. I think. Maybe?
          Again just throwing out some food for thought right now. I do realize that by moving the draw further the cam rotation will not be complete, which gives us more let-off at the back of the rotation. Basically trying to stop the rotation at the top peak, just before break over.
          In for the video of this. Sounds dangerous as h$ll....

Comment

I would think you would lose energy by not letting the cam work to its full potential. You would also not be flexing the limbs to their full potential.

Comment

Stoof, that is what I have been trying to figure out. Of course I could let the draw stop all the way out and then use a solid anchor point just like my longbow?

Let off does nothing for performance of the bow, it is only useful to the shooter in order to give you a low poundage to hold once at full draw allowing for longer times to line up pins, peeps, etc. And for some allowing them to draw a bow that is actually to stout for them but if they can just get it broke over .... Wrong soap box, anyhow.
              Trying to figure out all the what if's of trying to do away with let off and utilize the cam rotation.
              Last edited by Dry Bones; 02-12-2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

The only compound bow i can think of that doesn't have let off is a genesis bow. And they are designed that way to accommodate any draw length for new, young shooters but the cam still has to roll over to get the most potential energy from that bow.

Comment

Why do you think removing the draw stop will remove all let-off? Let-off comes from cam rollover, so you would need a round cam, less aggressive cam, or cam mod to lose let off.

Comment

If the bow is modular, you can start by leaving DS At your current setting, then put the 1/2 inch longer module in.
                    You should be able to get the performance of the additional power force curve, and LESS let-off, but not zero.
                    If you can shoot this setting comfortably, you can try the 1 full inch longer mod, and leave the DS at the same place, but I don't think you'll be able to peak the power force curve of the full inch, and you will be holding peak weight.
                    At best, I think with either of these, you will gain 5 to 7 fps if any.

Comment

yes try this and see what happens I would think as long as you set the draw 1 inch longer then the stops you will have what your looking for. I don't see how this will hurt anything. good luck.

Comment

I’m curious to see what happens. I’m not an engineer, but it seems like robbing the bow of the full power curve would hinder performance.

Comment

Thanks to all who have posted. I have been thinking about this for a while. and wanted some more input before I start to tinker.
                          In essence, I have been trying to figure out how to get the bow to stop at the most compression before let off occurs, thinking that maybe the brief moment when the bow goes from say 15# to 68# it would start at 68.
                          Would it change anything, I don't know, that's the point of the thread.
                          I reading I guess the deal about moving the stop probably is not the answer. More likely it will be with the draw mod.
                          It's a good idea to try it at 1/2" longer first, then increase to 1". BUT @ 1" more draw curve am I really gaining anything??

Comment

This is what your wanting to try I’ve done this trying to shorten draw on my apa. I saw now speed gain at all. But it might not be same for other bows I do not know
                            Attached Files

Comment

Now I'm not arguing just trying to imagine how any more energy could be created by doing this. We are basically talking about about a dynamically loaded system of levers and pulleys that is engineered to be as efficient as possible in the state that is was designed to operate. Not letting the cam roll over will not compress the limbs to full potential. That is the picture I have in my head anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X