• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
    Is that Brushy Creek?
    Yep. Was a bit slow.

Comment

My wife told me the other day she has always wanted to learn how to fly fish.

What's a reasonable amount of money to spend to get two people setup with rods and reels?

Comment

I am looking for a buddy to fish with to help me get more proficient. But yes I flyfish or at least attempt it.

Comment

I do some fly fishing. Don't have many pictures. Most were from when I was younger and I just threw them in the cooler. I use to catch some decent trout and redfish when I was younger and the family still had a house on the coast. Starting to get back into it. These were before I had any decent set ups to fish with.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm not very good at it, but it gets me to the mountains.
            Attached Files

Comment

todays outing

Chain Pickerel are the only Esox sub species found in Texas. The fish can be found naturally in the Cypress River drainage of Texas and popular lakes including Pat Mayse, Caddo, Lake O’ the Pines and Dangerfield. During the Texas winter, when very few warmwater species are in shallow water, the chain pickerel can be found cruising the quiet backwaters.

The largest chain pickerel on record was caught in Homerville, Georgia in 1961. It was 29.5 inches long, with a weight of 9 pounds 6 ounces. Although the national record is over nine pounds, the Texas state record is 4.75 pounds (23.75 inches). Like its close relatives, northern pike and muskellunge, the chain pickerel is equipped with a large mouth, well adapted for piscivory. The lower jaw, which extends further forward than the upper jaw, is equipped with four sensory pores on the underside. The dorsal and **** fins are set well back on the body. There is a distinctive pattern of interlocking dark bands on the back and sides that is reminiscent of a chain-link fence. During their first year they may reach 12-14 inches in length. Growth slows somewhat during the second year when they may attain lengths of 1.5 feet. In Texas they typically reach sizes of 3-4 pounds and about 2 feet in length.

Leaving Dallas at 6am for the 2 hour drive to Daingerfield State Park I was greeted with air temps in the mid 30s and light rain. It felt more like a morning to be heading out to hunt ducks instead of fishing. The predicted high for the day wasn't much more than the current temperature. I was a little hesitant about how the fishing would be, I was afraid the cold rain/weather may have dropped the water temps to fast and the fish would have lock jaw.

Lake Daingerfield is relatively small and is perfect for kayaks and small watercraft's. The park has a 5mph speed limit if you do decide to put a gas powered boat in the lake. The state recently put $5 million into this park renovating cabins, swim beach and nature trails. There is a $4 per person entry fee to enter the park and the cabin rates and availability can be found on the Daingerfield State Park website.

Once arriving at the parks' boat ramp; getting the kayak unloaded and getting my rods rigged up I was ready to hit the water. The lake is surrounded by 50-60' tall pine trees making this lake beautiful. With light winds out of the North-North/East I made a short paddle to a protective cove full of lily pads. Chain pickerel and weeds go together. Masters of the art of ambush, pickerel lie in or just above aquatic vegetation such as milfoil, cabbage, and lily pads, often facing outward toward open water, watching for unsuspecting prey. I started tossing a deer head zonker fly around the floating lily pads and submerged vegetation. It wasn't long before a fish quickly swirled and engulfed the fly. As you can see from the picture below there is flash hanging out of the gills along with fur and hair all wrapped up around the fishes jaws.

Continue Reading Here

Comment

Started fly fishing while vacationing with parents in Colorado, then went to school in Wyoming and fly fished all over the territory. Came home and have been saltwater fly fishing ever since. I go most every weekend if the sun is bright/clear and fish exclusively out of my airboat. Landed 14 large reds two weekends ago and saw close to 200 fish. With the airboat I can get to where they are. Robert.

Comment

Awesome I didn't know there were any members of the pike family here in Texas. I grew up on Lake Superior so poke and muskey were some of my favorite fish to catch.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                    All I do is Flyfish; got a lame blog about it to http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/

how many of yall are in the Dallas area?

I meant to say something the other night, but that is an awesome website you got there, I put it on my screensaver several weeks back. Yall need to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                      Absolutely. I grew up fly-fishing spring creeks and tailwaters in Missouri.
                      WBT--where in Missouri? I'm originally from Poplar Bluff down in SE corner and fished a bunch of creeks, ponds (tanks to Texans), lakes and rivers.

I fish local places where I have access, and will get started again in another month--had a pic of a 5+ bass I caught on the fly rod couple of years ago but can't find it now

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        I meant to say something the other night, but that is an awesome website you got there, I put it on my screensaver several weeks back. Yall need to check it out.
                        Thanks man

Comment

Yo...I will fly fish anywhere there is water. I also build them for a little extra side money. In fact I'm going to be building one in a couple weeks when I get home. I'll post pictures as I go.

Forgot to post pictures of my state record snook and some others

If you want to see my rod building look me up on Facebook under rods by chris
                          Last edited by cmh2007; 01-04-2015, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska D Varden (800x533).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	24355528

A really nice Dolly Varden from recent September trip to Kenai Peninsula AK

Comment

Awesome pics.... I have been a fly fisherman my entire life.

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                                Yo...I will fly fish anywhere there is water. I also build them for a little extra side money. In fact I'm going to be building one in a couple weeks when I get home. I'll post pictures as I go.

Forgot to post pictures of my state record snook and some others

If you want to see my rod building look me up on Facebook under rods by chris

Awesome fish Chris! Texas snook on on my list this year, Gunna try to spend a week down in Port Isabel in September or October. Any tips you mind sharing?

Comment

Working...
                                X