No announcement yet.

Will a 90hp pull a skier on a 21ft pontoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a 26' triton with a 250hp on it, and we could ski behind it. I don't think a pontoon could do it. I think the boat needs to plane off for a skier. You should be fine for a tube or knee board.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I don't know much about pontoons so I appreciate the help

Comment

Probably not! We tried to pull my son on a wakeboard in Destin with a 115 hp. He got up but it was so slow he said no thanks!

Comment

Lower pitch prop can help with hole shot. Never tried to ski behind a pontoon but we used a 90 HP bass boat all the time as a kid. On the other hand I've never heard someone say I wish I'd gotten a smaller motor.

Comment

Come out the hole on two skis and drop one.

Comment

Originally posted by T_Sebastian View Post
              My dad used to have a 24 footer with a 90 hp on it. We could knee board, and tube just fine. Never tried skis though.
              Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
              My dad has a 24' with 90 hp and it pulls a tube and knee board but have never tried skiing..
              Brothers?

Comment

It depends on the size and level of the skier.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  It depends on the size and level of the skier.
                  This right here. It can be done but it is harder to get up behind a pontoon.

Comment

Yes it can get a skier up but you won't really feel like you're skiing. Not much fun, if you want a boat for skiing don't get a pontoon.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                      You can but the skier will hate it!
                      I agree with this.

Comment

A skier good enough to get up behind that boat will also be good enough to not want to ski behind a toon.

Comment

A light person can probably get up on 2 skis but a 200+ lb person would probably never get up on a 66" slalom even with just the driver on board. My brother has a 22' toon w/ Yamaha 90 4stroke and no way that dog will pull a skier especially with any people on board. A 115 might barely do it and a 150 surely would if prop was correct. To pull skiers you need both power and speed. 32 mph for a slalom. 26-28 for 2 skis.
                          Also a lot can depend on the boat itself. All Toons ain't created equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                            Brothers?
                            Nope, but I thought about asking anyway...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                              Thanks for the info. I don't know much about pontoons so I appreciate the help
                              Test drive one before you commit.

I'm sure the ones with lots of power hanging off the back are fine, the one I test drove only had a 75 horse and all it took was one stroll across the lake to know it wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm used to jamming the throttle and getting a boat up on plane then easing back into a smooth speed. There was no G- force rush when I jammed that throttle, just a lot of noise and little movement.

Coming from a Coast Guard background (and having owned 4 boats) I wanted something that can get out of the way of a bad situation- not sit there and watch it happen. (storm / oncoming boat)

Like I said, I'm sure the ones with a better power to weight ratio feel more adequate- the underpowered pontoon I almost bought didn't.

Comment

Every boat is different, prop, plowing water, lifting strakes. Lots of variables. It will pull one. They won't like it.

With strakes it would be fine for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X