TBH mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBH mechanics

Any thoughts on why an AC would blow cold through the defroster but not through anything else? 2008 Ram 1500

Doors usually break in the HVAC plenum. Requires a full dash removal.

Comment

The wire linkage rod that controls the plenum door probably came off. Just look for it under your dash and re-attach it.

Comment

Comment

These guys are on the right track. Does it not blow at all through any of the other vents? Does it make a knocking noise in the dash when you start the truck and/or turn on the air?

Comment

Very possibly could have had a blend motor go out, if there is a popping grinding sound when you try to switch the air flow that would be my guess as Ive replaced severla on chevy's and dodge over the years

Comment

Might be the recirculating door fell on top of your fan.

Take your glove box door off
              Take the fan off
              See if the door fell on the opening
              If it fell on top of the fan pull the door through the hole
              *your recirculator function with your truck won't work anymore but the AC and heater will still work.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                Very possibly could have had a blend motor go out, if there is a popping grinding sound when you try to switch the air flow that would be my guess as Ive replaced severla on chevy's and dodge over the years
                had this happen on an expedition too

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                  Doors usually break in the HVAC plenum. Requires a full dash removal.
                  Was having a similar problem with the plenum door on wife's 2010 Chevy SUV and my mechanic quoted me $1500 to fix it due to the dash disassembly. He said "Trust Me" and did a redneck fix for $75.

Comment

Blows through all vents but not hard and not cold. No grinding

Comment

When the AC defaults to the defrost vents, I usually start looking for a vacuum leak.

I had a cracked hose to my vacuum pump and it couldn't build up enough pressure to move the blender door. Evidently the default is defrost. Simple fix for me. Locating the leak is the big thing.

Comment

It's the blend door mine has stick holding it up. You can cut all the grill away and remove or go ahead and replace the door. It is behind the glove box like stated above.

Comment

Blend door. There is a blend door repair kit available, no longer requires taking complete dash out. Youtube is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            When the AC defaults to the defrost vents, I usually start looking for a vacuum leak.

I had a cracked hose to my vacuum pump and it couldn't build up enough pressure to move the blender door. Evidently the default is defrost. Simple fix for me. Locating the leak is the big thing.

This is where I would start looking also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              Was having a similar problem with the plenum door on wife's 2010 Chevy SUV and my mechanic quoted me $1500 to fix it due to the dash disassembly. He said "Trust Me" and did a redneck fix for $75.
                              Have 2 friends that have had a similar problem. (air would blow out the defrost vent but wouldn't switch to blow out front vents even though you could hear it blowing)They both fixed it by removing the 3 bolts from the fan motor( on the passenger side , under the dash, no need to remove the dash) reaching up and pulling the plastic diverter out by hand. Took them less than 5 minutes and problem fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X