Limb tiller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limb tiller

I bought a Greatree TD Recurve. after getting it assembled and shooting it, I couldnt get arrows to fly straight to save my life.After adjusting brace and nock till I was blue in the face, I checked my limb tiller and think that the manufacturer may have got the upper and lower limbs mislabled. Should the string be closer to the riser at the bottom? After swapping the limbs around I have about 7/16" closer on the bottom and am getting better fight. Mayber just a simple QA mistake. Overall the bow is very good for the price I paid.

Tiller should be lower limb - closer as it is stiffer. Usually it is in the neighborhood of 1/8" to 3/16".. 7/16" is a bit much but, if it shoots good then what do I know.

Comment

Bob needs to chime in on this one since he makes bows for a living. But I think I agree with what Ol Man said above, esp the "what do I know" part.

Bisch

Comment

Ouch Bisch that one hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
          Ouch Bisch that one hurt
          You know I was just funnin'!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Good to "duck in" here long enough to see you guys haven't lost your since-of-humor while I'm gone!

Tom

Comment

Bottom limb should be positive. I am with Doug, I like 1/4 to 3/8 positive. 7/16 is a bit much but if she shoots good, what the hey.

Comment

7/16 is alot but do what shoots best

Comment

How can you change it?

Comment

120 grit, sanding block and patience!

You would need to sand the back and belly of the stronger limb, (bottom) until the measurement is 3/16 to 3/8+ (more distance from the fade to the string, on the top limb.) I am with Bob on this one, I also perfer 1/4+

Keep in mind you will have to graduate to finer sand paper for final finish, make no more than 10 strokes on the back and belly of the limb, then string the bow and check it, when it reaches 5/16ths, start using finer grit paper, keep the process going until you reach the tiller you want.

Comment

Thanks, for the advice Kevin B. Sound like a good rainy day off season project. Do I sand the entire length of the limb?

Comment

It is very important that you do sand the entire length. Don't hit one spot more than another or you may develope a weak spot and create a hinge. You don't want that. Make sure to remember to count your strokes and get the entire width of the limb. If you get off to one side more than the other you may end up with limb twist which can be the devil to get out. Take you time and you can get the job done. I would also recommend wet/dry paper with a bit of water or alcohol to lube it. Don't let any water get into you lams on the side. If that happens get it dry as soon as possible. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Bob. Maybe I just need to buy one of yours and not have to mess with it. I do like a longbow better than a recurve anyways. I double checked my tiller and it is 3/8" not 7/16" as I posted earlier. I think I will leave it alone. I dont think I can sneak me a new bow past mama right now! Thanks for the advice fellers!

Comment

Working...
                          X