Hunting from truck instead of blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    We don't have any of them scendero things in East Texas, but we have lots of truck hunters.
    A county road is an east Texas sendero

Comment

Very popular in East Texas at night.

Comment

Helps to have a buddy to run the light too

Comment

Yes and during the rut is very good hunting from a pickup, topdrive or UTV. Deer do not seem to mind much of anything during the rut if they see it regularly. The best way of hunting on lease land is riding in the vehicle that goes out on the ranch every day. Some places it is a tractor that is the best to hunt out of. If the rancher is going to check livestock and it is the rut that is when I am going along to open gates.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            How in the world do you draw your bow back?
            Ya jus gotta be good !

Comment

I have had lots of leases with few or no blinds, just feed stations and corn on roads
              Very successful hunting

Comment

I've shot deer from my truck before but one of the most interesting things was the "Ghost" buck and a tractor.

Years ago before game cameras we would sometimes see a monster 12 point buck but never when we were ready to shoot and, we'd only have time to ID the buck before he vanished, hence the name "Ghost".

My Grandfather was planting oats for the deer in September and he saw the Ghost standing on the edge of the timber just watching him. The buck stood there for a couple of hours just fascinated with the tractor, he guessed.

So one cold morning during hunting season, after my Dad had seen the buck twice but never had the time to shoot my Grandfather decided that he would take the tractor to the oats patch one morning along with his rifle. He drove the tractor around then parked it sort of in the center of the patch and let it idle.

Sure enough, after a while, the Ghost came out and just watched the tractor. My Grandfather stopped the tractor and shot the big buck from about 80 yards.

I was just a kid but I remember it took both my Dad and my Grandfather a great deal of trouble to load the buck and they were both big strong men.

Some deer are strange about what scares them and what doesn't.

Comment

This is my favorite method when I hunt in Oklahoma, does not bother the deer at all !

Comment

They only seem to spook in areas where they are regularly road hunted. Some places they will sit there and stare at you, others they will book it as soon as they see you.

Comment

On my lease at Paris, I have more deer closer to my truck than my blind. I have watched them walk within 20-50 yards of it almost every hunt that I saw deer. It' not the truck that spooks them, it is the movement of the truck. If it is still and quite, not problem.

Comment

[ATTACH]888714[/ATTACH]
                        That looks like a fiberglass shell.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          That looks like a fiberglass shell.

It's a nascar truck shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

depends...are we slamming on the brakes right before shooting or are we parked in the woods? lol

Comment

How in the world do you draw your bow back?
                              Must be using a crossbow.

Comment

Originally posted by antlercollector View Post
                                we don't have any of them scendero things in east texas, but we have lots of truck hunters.
                                lmao!!

Comment

Working...
                                X