No announcement yet.

Time To Get Serious About CWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These research primates also got it from eating CWD positive venison, is it likely to transmit to humans, no but its possible. Do you take the chance, I would have to lean towards no for me and definite no to feeding it to my family.

Comment

I tend to have to side with dr Kroll. this disease is supposed to be super contagious yet it has never wiped out a population and has never been found in large numbers. EHD on the other hand can kill large percentages of deer in small areas and does.

Comment

Uhm, if you could listen to all 2+ hours of that you have way too much time on your hands.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
          I tend to have to side with dr Kroll. this disease is supposed to be super contagious yet it has never wiped out a population and has never been found in large numbers. EHD on the other hand can kill large percentages of deer in small areas and does.
          Again this is addressed in the podcast using EHD as a diversion to the bigger disease problem with CWD. Kroll has seemed to support regulations based on political motivation rather than science, the antler restrictions are a good example. I wonder if Kroll and Richards when he was with tpwd butted heads?
          Last edited by bossbowman; 08-09-2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            EHD kills thousands more deer in Missouri. Let's find a way to deal with that. CWD doesn't move me at all.

Originally posted by Javelin View Post

There is inevitably an EHD reference or ten in every CWD thread. EHD and CWD couldn't be more different. They are thoroughly different situations with distinctly different problems and risks. The fact that EHD is bad, does not somehow negate the necessity of dealing with CWD. And while EHD does have greater short term mortality, in the long run it is much less of a concern than CWD. EHD is something that is simply new to northern areas and deer haven't established immunity like their southern relatives yet. Eventually they will, populations will re-establish, and it will be a non issue. CWD on the other hand, is like a very slow moving glacier, and when the full effects finally settle in, has the potential to truly devastate for a long time. Evolution will eventually deal with CWD as well, but it will be a longer ordeal. And CWD has some much greater concerns attached to the issue than just deer numbers. This is the first time the world has been aware of a prion disease with this degree of virulence (ease of infection) with this number of species. And it has exhibited some confusing and unusual characteristics, even for a prion. Unlike Mad Cow Disease, Creutzfelt Jakob disease, and Kuru, it has demonstrated the ability to negotiate vastly different species barriers with the right sequence of hosts. One strain, H95+, seems to be particularly good at that . . .

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            Yes elk and deer are affected , not one domestic animal, cattle etc has ever been diagnosed with CWD. The only way that CWD was infected in primates was through direct injection into their brain.
            For Macaque monkeys at least, that is not true. Macaques that were fed reasonable amounts of infected venison did acquire CWD. And the concern for humans is primarily in regard to new strains of CWD that may arise. Unless more have been discovered since the last time I checked, there are currently 5. And one in Canada is of particular concern. It is believed it would require very little alteration to misfold the human prp protein. It succesfully infected mice with similar prp configurations.
            Last edited by Longue Carabine; 08-09-2018, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
              There is inevitably an EHD reference or ten in every CWD thread. EHD and CWD couldn't be more different. They are thoroughly different situations with distinctly different problems and risks. The fact that EHD is bad, does not somehow negate the necessity of dealing with CWD. And while EHD does have greater short term mortality, in the long run it is much less of a concern than CWD. EHD is something that is simply new to northern areas and deer haven't established immunity like their southern relatives yet. Eventually they will, populations will re-establish, and it will be a non issue. CWD on the other hand, is like a very slow moving glacier, and when the full effects finally settle in, has the potential to truly devastate for a long time. Evolution will eventually deal with CWD as well, but it will be a longer ordeal. And CWD has some much greater concerns attached to the issue than just deer numbers. This is the first time the world has been aware of a prion disease with this degree of virulence (ease of infection) with this number of species. And it has exhibited some confusing and unusual characteristics, even for a prion. Unlike Mad Cow Disease, Creutzfelt Jakob disease, and Kuru, it has demonstrated the ability to negotiate vastly different species barriers with the right sequence of hosts. One strain, H95+, seems to be particularly good at that . . .

For Macaque monkeys at least, that is not true. Macaques that were fed reasonable amounts of infected venison did acquire CWD. And the concern for humans is primarily in regard to new strains of CWD that may arise. Unless more have been discovered since the last time I checked, there are currently 5. And one in Canada is of particular concern. It is believed it would require very little alteration to misfold the human prp protein. It succesfully infected mice with similar prp configurations.
              We know there is a big difference in what and how the two "diseases" work and kill.
              It keeps getting brought up because the cross species to humans transmission of CWD does not exist, there has not been any proven chance that can happen. The reason it is news is because it is pushed by people with an agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post

Solid post. One of the more informed ones since this thread popped back up. The study cited yesterday said monkeys were infected by all three means the researchers tested, even though there was a lot of resistance.

Even though CWD has been around for 50+ years, research in earnest has really only begun in the past 10 or 15 years. It takes time to learn how something works, and scientists admit they don't know a lot about how CWD specifically works.

I am still not going to stop hunting for food, but I am going to make sure any cervid I shoot is tested.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  We know there is a big difference in what and how the two "diseases" work and kill.
                  It keeps getting brought up because the cross species to humans transmission of CWD does not exist, there has not been any proven chance that can happen. The reason it is news is because it is pushed by people with an agenda.

And people with another agenda are trying to blow CWD off as no big deal, it is a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    And people with another agenda are trying to blow CWD off as no big deal, it is a big deal.
                    Yes, it deserves and needs to be studied and addressed but not the way the anti hunters, the anti high fence group and TPWD are doing it.
                    Until there is a realistic chance it is transmitted directly to humans by normal contact, consumption of the animals, consumption of the food the animals may contaminate (i.e. soybeans) through the prions living for eons in the soil and vegetation then all of the rash measures taken by some of the government entities is irresponsible.
                    It's not unlike the Ebola scare a few years ago. Yep, a couple folks got sick here. Yep there was a death of someone who traveled here. But that's it. The scare produced by the media and the ignorant was ridiculous. I don't have a political agenda in this. I don't have a deer breeding facility, I don't own a high fence hunting venue and I don't make money off hunting.
                    However I do own land. I do hunt and consume a lot of venison. I do stand against government over reach when it comes to private property.

Comment

Nothing to see here folks.....move along.

Comment

And people with another agenda are trying to make CWD a big deal.

You want to know the truth? FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Both sides have a ton of money invested in deer hunting. The major Low Fence players hate they can't charge $30k for a deer anymore cause you can get the same deer for $10k. High fence operations can now make a living on 500 acres selling 40 hunts a year at $10k. It's always about money and don't forget that.

Comment

Originally posted by gringo View Post
                          And people with another agenda are trying to make CWD a big deal.

You want to know the truth? FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Both sides have a ton of money invested in deer hunting. The major Low Fence players hate they can't charge $30k for a deer anymore cause you can get the same deer for $10k. High fence operations can now make a living on 500 acres selling 40 hunts a year at $10k. It's always about money and don't forget that.
                          The biologist made concerted effort not to chastise the deer farmers, I'm sure some are still his friends from when he worked here in texas. Looking at just the low fence vs. the high fence guys is myopic, there is a bigger picture here of what this will do to the future of hunting, and both stand to lose, it could be game over.

Comment

it could be game over.
                            Come on man???? We have known that it has been here for at least 50 yrs (North America).
                            Tell me which state or area it has been "game over" for?
                            Gringo makes an excellent point.

Comment

I know a guy that contracted CWD when he was hunting on a range where deer an antelope play and buffalo are known to roam. He said there was some discouraging words but not a lot and it was partly cloudly.
                              wait no I dont.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                I know a guy that contracted CWD when he was hunting on a range where deer an antelope play and buffalo are known to roam. He said there was some discouraging words but not a lot and it was partly cloudly.
                                wait no I dont.
                                Ahh....that was STD and the sheep was purty.

Comment

Working...
                                X