The Official Scotch Whiskey Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
    LOL thanks. A guy at the liquor store actually gave me some grief about it saying it wasn't "real" scotch.
    Interesting read about that attitude.

This is Straight Up, a column by whiskey expert and author Heather Greene. Today, Greene explains the ins and outs of Johnnie Walker.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
      Interesting read about that attitude.

https://www.eater.com/2015/3/19/8235...-good-worth-it
      Very nice, I agree with her 100% all though I come at the argument from the other side. I am not a whiskey expert, bourbon or scotch. I enjoy it and have fun trying different types. But I'm not going to turn it into a hobby and spend hours learning the differences between this single malt highland scotch and another blended scotch. I just taste and enjoy what I like. If that's a $27 bottle of blended Monkey Shoulder fine. If it's a $150 bottle of 18 year Elijah Craig great.

Drink what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by tmstuk View Post
        I LOVE the Balvenie Carribean Cask!!! I'm in Scotland right now and plan on taking a couple tours. I plan on bringing back a couple bottles of stuff I can't get at home.
        I did that many years ago - 25 years or more. I came back with a 54 year old Glenmorangie Special Reserve. It did not suck. But that bottle has been gone for years.

Cool to see those places, and hard to believe that much whiskey comes out of a place so small.

Comment

It is Friday boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
            Trend seems to be you don’t stick with things. Just kidding.
            No, I just don't like to limit my choices.

Comment

What is everyone sampling tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                What is everyone sampling tonight?
                Beer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I dabbled in the single malt thing for a couple years. I don't bother anymore. I just drink Dewar's white label.

Comment

Last night was a "boxcar" evening. Not scotch but it goes down really well. As for what's on the bar right now, Macallen Double Cask takes top honors. Need to make a restocking run and get another bottle of Balcones, single malt Texas whisky. Butter smooth with a hint of sherry.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                        Fort Worth if you're ever passing through and it's time for 3 fingers! There's a humidor with assorted Macanudo's to go with.
                        If you need some company I can be in FW in 30 minutes!! lol Love a good Macanudo!!

Many listed so far are great whiskys. My fav drinker (that I can afford) is The Macallan 12. Don't like the 15 but love the 18 sherry!! And a 25 Macallan I had once was to die for... Sherry cask are better than the oak cask. imho

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                        I'm an unsophisticated cheapskate. Last bottle I had was Glen Moray 12 year single malt. It was pretty good for $40.
                        I also like Glenlivet and Glenfiddich as I do most Speyside's. For a daily scotch I drink the Glen Moray 12 (can't stand the 15...). It's cheaper, great flavor and aroma, and goes well with a good cigar.

Never Oban, Not a big fan of the Highlands...

I want to try a Pernod Ricard's blended. Might be a nice change.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          I dabbled in the single malt thing for a couple years. I don't bother anymore. I just drink Dewar's white label.
                          The Dewars white or The Famous Grouse are the regulars but I keep a few good bottles on hand.

Comment

I tend to drink more Scotch in the Fall/Winter and switch to bourbon and gin in the spring/summer. I lean towards the Speysides and the Highland distilleries.
                            Right now at the house, I have Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask, Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask, Macallan 18, Macallan Edition #2, Macallan Rare Cask, Glenmorangie Signet, and Edradour 15.

I also like Glenfiddich and Aberlour distilleries, but don't currently have any at the casa. I have tried several Isalys and just can't stomach the Peat. It does not agree with my palate.

Comment

Tonight it is a 17 year old Balvenie Doublewood.

Comment

I’ve tried a lot! Call me cheap but my daily drinker is glenmorangie original. It’s only a 10 year but dang!!! Their Quinta ruban is a close second. I’m gonna need to try this balvenie double wood 12 and see what the hype is about. Can you get it a specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X