Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrowed a Buck - What's it mean when he won't leave area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrowed a Buck - What's it mean when he won't leave area?

Had a nice buck actually come by on the trail that caused us to put a stand there. Shot distance may have been 10 yards. Would have sworn he was perfectly broadside and it was a double lung shot - shot angle was pretty steep, though. He mule kicked then ran maybe 40-50 yards. Then slowly walked to a fairly steep ridge about 100 yards from shot. He took a few steps up the ridge and bedded. He laid there for 20-30 minutes. Raised his head every now & then & put it back down. Every time he put his head down, I assumed would be his last. Finally he gets up, takes a few more steps uphill, gets behind some trees and I loose sight of him. As it gets dark, I hear movement where I saw him last. Branches crack and leaves rustle. He can't be more than 15 yards from where I saw him last - but it is now dark and he is in the thick stuff.

Of course I want to turn on the flashlight & go check things out. But I realized that pushing him is probably the worst thing I could do. Got out of there as quietly as possible. Didn't look for arrow. Heard no more sounds as I backed out.

It seems like close is good, but I have no experience with shooting a deer with a bow at that sharp of an angle. Put an arrow through a doe that was right under my stand several years ago, but never found her. But then she only hung around maybe a minute before leaving for parts unknown.

Anyway, shot him about an hour & twenty minutes before dark. I feel pretty confident that he was still about 100 yards from where I shot him, when I left.

I've killed a lot of deer and hit them every where from neck to hip. Gut shot deer tend to leave the immediate area. Double lung shot deer (at least ones that weren't a steep angle) haven't gone far. Same for heart shot.

So I about have to assume I hit liver & maybe a lung? Or even just liver. I can think of a few I hit in the liver and all of them went farther than this, but I guess not a lot farther - and I didn't push them.

Anyway, anybody else ever had this happen? Did you find them & where had you hit them?

Fortunately, I can be out looking for him at first light in the morning. It'll have been more than 14 hours since the shot. Since he hadn't gone very far in an hour & twenty minutes - and he sure didn't seem to be able to climb that ridge - I guess I'm 'cautiously optimistic'.

But then, anything can happen & he could be miles away too!

Wait it out. He will be there in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like maybe gut shot. Look for him in the morning. Where's the arrow?

Comment

Leave that deer till morning and he will be dead right there. Push him now and risk losing him.sounds gut and or liver shot. Time is your friend.

Comment

Looking forward to pics.

Gut shot, maybe liver. He wants to move according to your description, but doesn't have the strength. Shouldn't be to much farther in the AM.
          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 11-17-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Anything could have happen but I bet he isn’t far and probably already dead based on your description

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would wait until morning and look. If you don't find him then get a tracking dog

Comment

Sounds gut shot. If so, he’ll be dead right there by morning. I’ve seen very similar things from several gut shot deer. If not pushed they rarely go more than couple hundred yards.

Comment

Had a similar situation. Shot a doe at like 5 yards from the treestand, way too steep of an angle. Arrow hit and stuck half way in. She jumped for a second and then just slowly walked away into the thick stuff like nothing happened.

Finished my hunt 2-3 hours later, got down from the stand and could see my lighted nock 5 yards in the thick and she was dead right there.

They do weird things sometimes. I bet hes down in the morning

Comment

I’ve had them bed down close after a gut shot. If you leave him lay he shouldn’t be far.

Comment

Sounds like a gut shot. It can take them awhile to die and they will try to find water if possible. I found a gut shot muley I shot the next day not far from where he was shot the night b4. He was still alive and bedded in some brush. I was able to sneak up on him and put another arrow in him. He jumped and ran when the arrow hit him but piled up pretty fast. Good Luck with recovery. Time is your friend!

Comment

Sounds like you may have hit only one lung and or liver.He should be close to that same spot in the mourning.But if he is still alive and you jump him up in the mourning its been my experience to go after him,pushing him to make him start bleeding again like actually run him down.He will be all stoved up and really sick from laying there all night.

Comment

I’m with the crowd of “he shouldn’t be much further”. I know this won’t be a popular opinion or if an option at your place, but I would consider going back in the morning with a rifle Incase he is still alive. Nothing worse than seeing an animal suffer.

Comment

If he bedded twice in that short of a distance I’d feel confident you will find him not far from that spot in the morning. Give him some time. Will look forward to LDPs

Comment

If he was walking hunched probably liver. Good luck on your recovery. Did the right thing by not pushing him.

Comment

Working...
                              X