No announcement yet.

For the 270 vs 308 crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparing a 150 grn .270 to a 150 grn .308 is not apples to apples. You are supposed to compare bullets with similar sectional densities for a like to like comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      For shooting accuracy and ranges the 30 caliber is a thing of the past. Most guys now that shoot it is because they grew up with it and its what they know. I have several and carry them but if folks at talking about just accuracy then you have to get a long stable bullet. The 6.5 to 7 are king in the shooting world.
      Well, in the match shooting world, 6mm or maybe 6.5mm is king. If you are killing animals at long ranges, .30 cal is still very useful with modern high BC bullets.

Comment

If I was going to build today. I don’t see anything that is a carry rifle that will beat a 28 Nosler. Sure a 338 Lapua is a great round but you physically can not lug one up and down a mountainside.

General you are correct on the 6-6.5

Comment

One thing you can take to the bank.. you can't turn a 270 into a 30-06 performance wise and bullet weight range options.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
            What I do know is for the average range sportsman, if you are shooting anything OTHER THAN a 243, 270, 30-06, 30-30, or 308 with a 4x or 6x scope, you are lying to yourself and may fool some fools.
            You seem to be missing quite a few great calibers here: 7mm-08, .280, 25-06, etc...

Comment

If I was going to build today. I don’t see anything that is a carry rifle that will beat a 28 Nosler. Sure a 338 Lapua is a great round but you physically can not lug one up and down a mountainside.

.30 Nosler.

Comment

I've heard some bad stats on 28 nosler barrel life. Are you getting more than the 600-900 that folks were reporting right when it came out?

Comment

Gig don’t have one. Was with a guy and I was shooting a 7 RUM. After I got home was pulling numbers and the 28 was impressive. I’m sure it does have short life. Gotta pay the price somewhere. 7RUM shoots out quick too

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                    I'll take, my tack driving Savage 270...……...
                    X2 on this!! I love my tac driving Savage 270 as well. I would like to upgrade the scope though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

308 was what we were raised with, then I switched to a 270, cant remember why

Comment

That is a good read. There is a reason the Olympic big bore shooters shoot the .308. I go for accuracy first and foremost.

Comment

Which is?

Comment

Don't have either one but I'll take my 30.06 over them both.

Comment

Working...
                            X