No announcement yet.

For the 270 vs 308 crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own both and cannot say that one is really any better than the other.

Comment

I own both as well and haven't shot a deer with anything but my 25-06 in years.

Comment

I love my 270 pump! Sucker can put some rounds down range pretty fast and is pretty easy on the shoulder.

Comment

Have owned both over the years.Both Get the job done well..Excellent Cartridges...For some reason I prefer the shorter cases of the 308...and own most calibers that use it as Mother case..243 /260 rem/7MM/358 win. Thats just a me thing..
          Last edited by cva34; 10-14-2019, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Doesn't matter.

95% of all game animals are shot under 200 yards and 3/4s of those are under 100.

A deer hit correctly at 50 yards with s 308, 270, 7mm Mag or even an arrow is still just as dead.
            Last edited by Gemlin; 10-14-2019, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I have both and throw in the .243 just because

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                What I do know is for the average range sportsman, if you are shooting anything OTHER THAN a 243, 270, 30-06, 30-30, or 308 with a 4x or 6x scope, you are lying to yourself and may fool some fools.

I agree with exception of the scope part. I want the strongest one I can stand.

Comment

Thats why we have so many flavors, I like chocolate chip cookie dough.

What really matters is Grizzly Bears, lets move straight to that and dispense with the redundancy.

Comment

First gun I ever owned was a Remington Mohawk 600 in .308. Killed my first deer with a .308 of my Dads. Loved that gun but the dude who stole it from me obviously love it more. That being said I bought a .270 to replace it and my go to deer rifles are all still .270s. Nothing against .308 but if I'm hunting Texas animals with a rifle its a 130 gr .270.

The animals I have shot with it didn't care for much for the caliber though.
                    Last edited by Smart; 10-14-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I don't know why gun writers still writing about these cartridge debates, then cherry pick the stats they want to use to make their case.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                        I don't know why gun writers still writing about these cartridge debates, then cherry pick the stats they want to use to make their case.
                        Because “It doesn’t matter” doesn’t sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                          What I do know is for the average range sportsman, if you are shooting anything OTHER THAN a 243, 270, 30-06, 30-30, or 308 with a 4x or 6x scope, you are lying to yourself and may fool some fools.
                          This is a confusing statement.

Comment

I agree with Jack O'Connor....270 is tough to beat for an all around cartridge. I have no idea how many deer I have killed with a .270 from ranges, 30 yards to way to far to talk about.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

For shooting accuracy and ranges the 30 caliber is a thing of the past. Most guys now that shoot it is because they grew up with it and its what they know. I have several and carry them but if folks at talking about just accuracy then you have to get a long stable bullet. The 6.5 to 7 are king in the shooting world.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                For shooting accuracy and ranges the 30 caliber is a thing of the past. Most guys now that shoot it is because they grew up with it and its what they know. I have several and carry them but if folks at talking about just accuracy then you have to get a long stable bullet. The 6.5 to 7 are king in the shooting world.
                                Have you looked at the new crop of long range bullets for the big 30s and bigger?

Comment

Working...
                                X