What to do with my Xterra??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with my Xterra??

I need a little assistance from the Green Screen. I have a 2007 Xterra 4x4 that the transmission just went out in. It's sitting on ~190K miles and overall it is in good condition but paying to get the transmission fixed doesn't make sense (it's my sons car to get back and forth to A&M so I need something safe). Any ideas on what my best option is? It's currently sitting at a Transmission shop in Spring so he will need me to get it out of there ASAP.

How much they want to fix it?

Comment

Tannerite

Comment

I'd buy a transmission from a salvage yard and put it in, in your driveway.
        I mean, you are a doctor and all ... it can't be rocket surgery!

Comment

Only two options:
          cut your losses and try to sell as is or pay to fix it and hope nothing else goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            How much they want to fix it?
            No quote at this time. He only ran diagnostics. It is a typical problem that the coolant line breaks and water/glycol from the radiator gets in it. He did find the trans fluid to be milky which suggests that is the culprit. Most likely the cheapest fix is a new/rebuilt transmission. It will drive ok in 1-3 gears but will not go into 4th or O/D. Given that and any other small issues it has, it just isn't worth it for me to fix it. I would hazard about 2K to fix it but that is just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
              I'd buy a transmission from a salvage yard and put it in, in your driveway.
              I mean, you are a doctor and all ... it can't be rocket surgery!
              I can just leave it in your driveway...I mean, you are a taxidermist and all.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                Only two options:
                cut your losses and try to sell as is or pay to fix it and hope nothing else goes wrong.
                Anyone in the market for a Yellow 2007 Xterra 4x4 with an outstanding stereo system, stinking brand new tires and a solid engine??

One note...it does have a nifty Texas A&M engineering sticker on it...(Not sure if that helps the sale or not)

Comment

Yep, common problem. Youre lucky to get that milage out of it. Usually happens at 80,000. If you fix it go ahead and put a transmission cooler on it and bypass the radiator.

Comment

id toss a few grand at it and get it back on the road. I know several people that have near 300k on theirs

Comment

Look up LKQ parts, they have transmissions for that Nissan. 3191.00 with a warranty. I dont know how much you want to spend though

Comment

Find you a wreaked one on Craig’s list . Pull the tranny scrap the rest .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm done with it at this point. I am more looking at options of donation or cheap sale to someone that wants to work on it. He needs a car pretty soon as he has summer school and on top of that. rough trade in is around $3K so, for me, replacing the transmission doesn't make sense.

Comment

New radiator...flush and new fluid.....might get lucky. Craigslist Habla Español!

Comment

I'd take to a Texas Direct Auto buy center or carmax and get what i could for it while it still moves.

Comment

Working...
                              X