Exotic Breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
    I raise axis, fallow, blackbuck and sika. Send me a pm if you are interested and I can tell you the advantages/disadvantages to the different species.
    There are new regulations on them with the CWD issue and I dont really want to be regulated or a part of a "breeding program" that requires me to report back to the state on what I have and have not tested every year. I could be off on that, as I am still learning about the industry myself. I also cant imagine that protein and alfalfa bill, but my boys would love it! I am not suppose to put whitetails in there, but will be checking on that.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
      I raise axis, fallow, blackbuck and sika. Send me a pm if you are interested and I can tell you the advantages/disadvantages to the different species.
      PM Sent! Look forward to talking with you.

Comment

I saw a couple silk behind a HF near Garven Store the other day... they were pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by varminthunter View Post
          There are new regulations on them with the CWD issue and I dont really want to be regulated or a part of a "breeding program" that requires me to report back to the state on what I have and have not tested every year. I could be off on that, as I am still learning about the industry myself. I also cant imagine that protein and alfalfa bill, but my boys would love it! I am not suppose to put whitetails in there, but will be checking on that.
          Pretty sure fallow are not included in the cwd restrictions.

Comment

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I was thinking of having blackbuck since they multiple so fast, with a goal of selling around 100 animals (bucks & does) each year.

Or going with some African antelope that isint on every single ranch in Texas. Goal would be to sell 10-25 animals each year of that species.

Comment

Fallow are doing much better, market wise right now. Axis are just all over and the market is saturated. I personally would prefer axis because I would keep a doe in the freezer. If you wanted to make a little cash to suplememt the hobby, I would choose an animal that always has value and not just maturity value. For example: kudu have value at the time they are born, ibex was like this a year or 2 ago and now everyone is raising them. If I was going to choose one animal for myself as the market sets now- bongo.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I was thinking of having blackbuck since they multiple so fast, with a goal of selling around 100 animals (bucks & does) each year.

Or going with some African antelope that isint on every single ranch in Texas. Goal would be to sell 10-25 animals each year of that species.
                We have an blackbuck herd out at our ranch. Started with 5 about 10 years ago and the herd has peeked at around 100 animals. We have taken a few does and bucks over the years but nothing major. Supplemented the gene pool two years ago with a nice group of does. This past fall we sold 40 animals and hope to do that same number or close from here on out. Ever need a good guy to buy from PM and Ill shoot you my exotic guys number. He sets up his trap in my pasture and takes care of everything. Really helps with moving the animals with minimal trauma. Blackbucks are easy keepers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                  Fallow are doing much better, market wise right now. Axis are just all over and the market is saturated. I personally would prefer axis because I would keep a doe in the freezer. If you wanted to make a little cash to suplememt the hobby, I would choose an animal that always has value and not just maturity value. For example: kudu have value at the time they are born, ibex was like this a year or 2 ago and now everyone is raising them. If I was going to choose one animal for myself as the market sets now- bongo.
                  I would love to have Bongo - they are my all time favorite animal. Someday....

Comment

I'm working on building some pens to do the same thing right now. I'm going with super exotics. Haven't decided on what animals I'm going with yet.The way I see it is it cost's the same to raise an axis or fallow vs an impala or ibex, The initial cost to purchase the animals is much more but the profit us much more.

Comment

Super exotics are great but the initial investment is HIGH. Impala seem to fetch a good price and don't eat near as much as the supers. Fallow eat much more. We have enjoyed raising exotics and it has really helped with our ranch operating costs. Vast majority are live sales with a few hunts sprinkled in there.

Comment

Good thread. This is why I dig TBH

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                          Super exotics are great but the initial investment is HIGH. Impala seem to fetch a good price and don't eat near as much as the supers. Fallow eat much more. We have enjoyed raising exotics and it has really helped with our ranch operating costs. Vast majority are live sales with a few hunts sprinkled in there.
                          Agreed! The exotic industry evolves very quickly. Now many ranchers have “super exotics”. I don’t think you can set your mind on one specie. I did this with ibex a while back, because weaned kids were selling for $2,500. This then appealed to many people and the market became saturated. Get in, get out. Get it while it’s hot and move to something else. Mule deer are the same way. Now embryo transfer with mule deer, with an whitetail carrier is common. 400in mule deer! The opportunity with exotics is to stop the reverse management. So, instead of shooting every 25in, 4 year old aoudad. Let them grow. Very seldom does a 40in axis die of old age, or a 38in aoudad...etc. Tough market with razor thin margins. Pay to play! When it takes 8 years to have a mature animal you better have a lot of grass and a low feed bill. Volume or quality

Comment

I think you need a good herd of longhorns.

Comment

I'd go fallow. As much as I hate to say it, call Dr. Joe Ables to get some good genetic animals. I'd stay away from axis as they are everywhere. I would look at either Ibex or some of the big *** sheep hybrids.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                                I'd go fallow. As much as I hate to say it, call Dr. Joe Ables to get some good genetic animals. I'd stay away from axis as they are everywhere. I would look at either Ibex or some of the big *** sheep hybrids.
                                I had a good chat with Dr. Joe the other day. Thanks for the reply.

Some big sheep would be nice too!!

Comment

Working...
                                X