Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Here Not Hunting Over Feeders on Their Lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use feeders, but don't hunt over them. See most deer away from them.

Comment

LOL...well, it's Texas! Just drive around and see all the feeders for sale from Grocery Stores to Hunting Stores. Ain't it great?!

Comment

I have a friend from Alaska who calls deer hunting in Texas a beer drinking sport. Lol

Comment

I hunt in Bastrop and my favorite stand has no feeder.

Comment

I have 2 feeders going year round with box blinds at both. But while bow hunting I have ground blinds and ladder stands over trails and hand corn. Had more success getting away from feeder bow hunting. Now hunting pigs I'm at the feeder laying them out as fast as my AR will let me.

Comment

I feel ya Brother. I don't hunt deer over bait either, its the Texas way though. As long as folk are enjoying the outdoors, dats all that matters.

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
              I'm just curious! You weren't allowed to bait for game where I come from. It seems pretty standard practice here, but it's such a foreign concept to me.

I guess until I get some private I don't have to worry about figuring it out anyways. At least I think you aren't allowed to throw corn for deer on most of the Corp land around here?

Comment

I have been running ground blinds and stands away from my feeders on old lease and will on this new one as well

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                  I have a friend from Alaska who calls deer hunting in Texas a beer drinking sport. Lol
                  That made me laugh!
                  (I don't think I've ever gone to the deer stand without one)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Usually did. This year I am trying hand corn.

Comment

Big axis and whitetail no feeder. Pigs and does feeder.

Comment

Only a few people around us use them. In good deer habitat where they're not hungry, I consider them near useless. Yea, you might get a night time picture of a big one walking by, but that's not giving you any info for hunting purposes (in my area). A nighttime picture is useless to me in terms of strategy.

I think the intrusion of having to fill them pushes the big boys away. Its not natural and any decent buck is going to be tipped off around here. I SEE deer that never come to a camera that I've poured bait in front of at the house.

We put a few feeders out several years ago. Before bears tore them down, the biggest buck we had on camera MIGHT have been 130". The big ones just steer clear of the unnatural.

Comment

I run feeders but put my stands up on trails going into and out of feed areas and hope that I can catch the big one trying to be slick and go down wind of feeder (not knowing I'm there waiting) But I agree I have never shot a big,mature deer under feeder.

Comment

i grew up hunting public land where I had to find the deer. located travel areas to and from bedding and food sources. scout for rub lines or areas with lots of scrapes. this adds to the thrill of the hunt of trying to outsmart the animal. trying to figure out which tree to pick for my climber would be best for that particular area, most of the time its trial and error on that part. I do have a lease near my house where I do have a feeder, but very rarely hunt it. I kill more deer every year on public land where no corn is fed, compared to feeding them on my lease!

Comment

I have a few feeders on my East Texas lease, but I rarely see the bigger bucks at them. They will circle downwind of them checking for does and only occasionally visit them at night.
                              I prefer to hunt stands of big white oaks and trails downwind of scrapes, and I see a LOT more deer than the lease members hunting over feeders do.

Comment

we have feeders at my lease, but my favorite place to hunt has not feeder. Just a natural corridor for deer travel.

Comment

Working...
                                X