View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #94
JAGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
As with many things the nutritional content of clover 'depends'...Stage of growth, type of clover, soil nutrition etc. But all in all a very high quality feed with some clovers rivaling alfalfa for quality. Frequently protein content is in excess of 20% with very high digestibility.

I do no predator control. Never have. If I shared my full belief system on predators, habitat ecology, and natures symbiotic relationships I would probably be run off the green screen. And yes we have all predators native to our part of the country.

A very short version is that I also have a ranch deep in the heart of the Rio Grande brush country. We have as many predators as the country can support including lions, and a very healthy population of coyotes. Our habitat is very healthy and I see almost no predation problems. The exception to that is occasionally I have to address lions...never coyotes. I can elaborate in great detail if interested but know that we hardly ever loose bucks once they get old enough to be identified.
You obviously have a tremendous deer heard, so you are doing things right. We have tried to plant oats a few times at my ranch in South Texas, with little success, so learning about food plot practices is very interesting to me. Deer management varies so much from state to state.
JAGR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top