Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    I don’t have a no till drill and broadcast fertilizer after I spray gly. I was told many years ago to work the fertilizer in to the dirt before planting. This will create a better seed bed than leaving the fertilizer on top of the ground.

I can’t tell you one way or the other about drilling seed with the fertilizer above the ground or how long it takes for fertilizer to melt into the dirt to the seedlings. You might need to set the gangs straight on your disc and bust the top crust of dirt before you drill.
    Thank you for the input!!!

How do you spray your plots? I gotta find a better way to spray 1-2 acres.

I may put fertilizer into the drill with the seed? never done it, would that work?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      Thank you for the input!!!

How do you spray your plots? I gotta find a better way to spray 1-2 acres.

I may put fertilizer into the drill with the seed? never done it, would that work?
      I have a 60 gallon boomless PTO driven sprayer, but used a 30 gallon 12v boomless sprayer for years. I mounted it on my Mule and it worked fine. Plus it has a gun that I use to spray inside my feeder pens.

Fertilizer is corrosive and usually has clumps in it, I guess you could try to blend in seed and fertilizer on a small run and see what happens. The seed you are using and the fertilizer pellets are different sizes so I cant say.If it works you might want wash out the drill when your done, cause the next feller that uses is gonna be mad.

Comment

I have a 60 gallon boomless PTO driven sprayer, but used a 30 gallon 12v boomless sprayer for years. I mounted it on my Mule and it worked fine. Plus it has a gun that I use to spray inside my feeder pens.

Fertilizer is corrosive and usually has clumps in it, I guess you could try to blend in seed and fertilizer on a small run and see what happens. The seed you are using and the fertilizer pellets are different sizes so I cant say.If it works you might want wash out the drill when your done, cause the next feller that uses is gonna be mad.
        What brand sprayer or model? Can you post pics please?

Comment

What brand sprayer or model? Can you post pics please?

Mine is the boomless one. I drain the pump when done and spray it with a rust preventive. Works good and I dont have to worry about limbs hooking a boom, I also add spray dye to herbicide and I can see my path purty good.

I had a cheaper 40 gallon 3 pt sprayer and it made it a year and the tank split, I took it back to TSC and swapped it in for the one I have now.

Comment

http://www.fimcoindustries.com/LG-60-3PT.html

Mine is the boomless one. I drain the pump when done and spray it with a rust preventive. Works good and I dont have to worry about limbs hooking a boom, I also add spray dye to herbicide and I can see my path purty good.

I had a cheaper 40 gallon 3 pt sprayer and it made it a year and the tank split, I took it back to TSC and swapped it in for the one I have now.
            Talk to me more about the dye please. I need this bad, hate guessing where I sprayed and didn't.

I need to upgrade to a boomless like this one. Thank you

Comment

Talk to me more about the dye please. I need this bad, hate guessing where I sprayed and didn't.

I need to upgrade to a boomless like this one. Thank you

Wear you some gloves when you put this in the tank. I got it all over me the first time I used it and I looked like a smurf.

Comment

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005

Wear you some gloves when you put this in the tank. I got it all over me the first time I used it and I looked like a smurf.
                Lol ok. Reviews look to be poor on it, but I will take your word

On the boomless nozzle, do you get a full 30 feet like mentioned on the website? Also is it strong enough and not a light mist?

Comment

Lol ok. Reviews look to be poor on it, but I will take your word

On the boomless nozzle, do you get a full 30 feet like mentioned on the website? Also is it strong enough and not a light mist?
                  I answer this un and we better get back on topic, somebody will holler at us and call us names.

The sprayer will do 30 ft but if you got a wind a blowing it won’t be a constant spray. I got mine set up for 20ft because I set it lower to the ground (18 inches). This gives a good curtain of spray and it don’t drift much in the wind. I also prefer to spray early in the morning before the wind kicks up and when there is still a little dew on the ground.

Comment

I really need to get out and plow. Was too muddy for a while amd haven't had time last couple weeks. My get out saturday and try to get some plowing and seed spread. Gonna have to be a rush job.
                    Thinking of just grabbing a few bags of wild bird seed and spreading. Hopefully the feed store still has some spring mixes available.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                      I really need to get out and plow. Was too muddy for a while amd haven't had time last couple weeks. My get out saturday and try to get some plowing and seed spread. Gonna have to be a rush job.
                      Thinking of just grabbing a few bags of wild bird seed and spreading. Hopefully the feed store still has some spring mixes available.
                      I would not plant anything with corn in it, ever hog in the county will be sitting in your fields pooping yellar.

Comment

[ATTACH]904712[/ATTACH]

IC peas coming on, weather liar says rain by the end of the week.
                        Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Cactus blooming always looks nice
                          Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Got a lot of work done this weekend. Got the spring Dove/deer plot seeded and fertilized. Work a few cows. Giving Riley the hotshot was bad idea!!! But dad can still out run her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	30707638_779993135522534_8640572926434738176_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	24536090

Name:	30707638_779993135522534_8640572926434738176_n (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	24536091

Name:	30712551_779993145522533_5151802048802455552_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	24536092

Name:	30708313_779993128855868_6632456813956562944_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	24536093

Comment

Got my dove spot disked this weekend. Sprayed my 2 deer plots last week and will go look today and possibly spray them again for any spots that did not die because of thick vegetation.

Then will shred the dead winter plot and grain drill over it. Dove plot I will drill into the disked soil.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                Got a lot of work done this weekend. Got the spring Dove/deer plot seeded and fertilized. Work a few cows. Giving Riley the hotshot was bad idea!!! But dad can still out run her.

[ATTACH]904772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]904773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]904774[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]904775[/ATTACH]
                                I like the broken pool net turned cattle paddle on the ground!

Comment

Working...
                                X