Bobcat or Ocelot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna say BC.......

And it was pretty darn hot at 0645 on the 5th!!!

Comment

Cool pics, and that Bobcat has some neat markings....but it is still a bobcat.

Comment

The rosettes on an ocelot are in an almost horizontal row or pattern and a bobcats are at random. Although this is an exceptionally spotted bobcat the pattern is at random and the tail is short. The leg length to body size is off and the ears are too large for an ocelot. You can also see the small rings on the tail while an ocelot would have large bands of black on the long tail. It is just a nice South Texas Bobcat. It would bring a lot of money for the taxidermy trade.

Comment

I agree that it is a bobcat. Anybody know if bobcats and ocelots can breed?

Here is another picture I Found.
          Attached Files

Comment

My wildlife Biology professor said he new of one captive pair breeding but the kittens died within hours of being born. Kind of like Bobcats and feral cats. There has never been a documented hybrid cross.

Comment

Purdy kitties!

Comment

I think that good aleast be half, ive never seen one marked like that,especialy if the pic was taken in s.texas

Comment

Man, I'd rather get that sucker with my bow than the biggest buck in the woods!! That is without a doubt the prettiest bobcat I ever saw, or even saw pictures of!

Comment

Yes fishin dude i guess you could say I did since I graduated in 90, the size of the tail is not always indicitive of the given species.Any other questions you have feel free to ask.And i am just guessing but its not called coursework anymore

Comment

It is not likely they would ever cross as the Bobcat has 38 chromosomes and the Ocelot has 36 chromosomes. The odds are out of sight that a pregnancy would occur and if it did the offspring would probably not live.

Comment

real cool kitty though

Comment

I would sure get a large livecatch trap and catch that one. It would look great in a Texas animal display at one of the zoos and they could check the markers to see if there is any Ocelot in the bloodline as remote as the chance might be. If not it would sure make a great mount. I would love the chance to set some steel traps in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                            My wildlife Biology professor said he new of one captive pair breeding but the kittens died within hours of being born. Kind of like Bobcats and feral cats. There has never been a documented hybrid cross.
                            Look up "Pixiebob" and give me your thoughts.

Comment

Is the ocelot on the protected list or are they legal to harvest?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                                Look up "Pixiebob" and give me your thoughts.

Pixiebob has no bobcat markers. They have been tested and are simply bobtail cats with tabby markings and tufts. The only proven bobcat cross is with a Lynx. There are those that say they have seen the hybrids but none have ever tested true. I raised hybrid jungle cats and bengals and have studied this for years. ET

The Ocelot has only been proven to cross with the Margay and the cougar. No other Ocelot crosses have ever been proven.
                                Last edited by wilded; 10-14-2008, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X