Recovering A Deer From A Neighbors Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering A Deer From A Neighbors Property

It hasn't happened to me yet but just wondering in case. What etiquette and laws should be observed when you make a kill on your property but the animal dies on a neighboring property. Especially a neighbor's property who is hostile of deer hunting / hunters. It is a scenario I'm sure some you one had had the unfortunate experience with. Thanks.

Always get permission.. no matter what. If they wont give permission get the game warden to mediate the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyeB View Post
      Always get permission.. no matter what. If they wont give permission get the game warden to mediate the situation.
      This ^^

<end thread>

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyeB View Post
        Perfect and only answer in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
          This ^^

<end thread>
          that is beginning

</end thread>

Comment

Quickly and quietly

Comment

I know you are talking Texas but this happened to me in PA a few years ago. I had permission to hunt a property and I was setup closer to the property line than I thought. I shot a 7 pt and the shot was a little back. The deer ran onto the neighbor's property. The lady was an anti-hunter and refused to give me permission and was very hostile. The PGC said there was nothing they could do and she threatened to call the police on me if she caught me going after the deer. She preferred to let the deer rot than to let me go in and get it. I know a lot of folks said they would go anyway but I was working a government job at the time and would have been fired if I got arrested for trespassing. I now will no longer hunt anywhere near a property line unless I know ahead of time if I can recover the game should it cross the line.

Comment

First answer the best.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
                  that is beginning

</end thread>
                  </end the ended thread>

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    Quickly and quietly

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      Quickly and quietly
                      you forgot, preferably by the cover of darkness.

Comment

If the neighbor was friendly I would contact them first and ask permission. If they are anti-hunter I would definitely contact the game warden first and let him make contact with the owner. Provided you shot the animal on your land they can not deny you the access to recover it. But you can't just hop the fence without informing them, or you are trespassing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                          If the neighbor was friendly I would contact them first and ask permission. If they are anti-hunter I would definitely contact the game warden first and let him make contact with the owner. Provided you shot the animal on your land they can not deny you the access to recover it. But you can't just hop the fence without informing them, or you are trespassing.
                          Actually they can

Comment

I dont think anyone can make you let someone come on your property to recover an animal. Always get permission 1st. Otherwise you could be looking at a trespass charge and if you take a weapon it goes up in severity.

Comment

Good advise thanks. Better make the shot count then ..eh. If denied at least you keep your tag to hunt another day and the coyotes have full bellies.

Comment

Working...
                              X