Acorns! Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Well if you don't want to go scout for a likely spot, then go sit your feeder and see nothing... That sound like a smart idea to you?

Beats all I ever heard/seen folks complaining about food for the deer that they actually want to eat. People don't seem to know how to "hunt" anymore... Just go put out a feeder and sit there. The deer are supposed to come...

Don't get me wrong, I sit feeders too, but if that don't work, go find the deer! Good grief.

LOL...Come on now !!!

Charlie, you and I are usually on the same page here on this sight but that's freaking ridiculous talk. 4,400 acres of live oaks/shin oak trees and acorns on my side and the landowners side. There is no way in hell to pinpoint which tree a target buck is using living 5 hours away and trying to guess withing a 30 yards circle with a bow. No place to glass, not much area to walk honestly without boogering up your areas. Definitely a lot easier to sit at a desk and say to do it than do it.

If I hunted in East Texas and could "scout" the 10 whiteoak trees in a patch of 1,000 pines that's one thing... but pinpointing one deer and hanging your blind in one tree in 30,000-40,000 live and shin oaks is just not feasible.

I mean its not like you can pre-scout them before season. With that many trees you have to "scout while they are falling" which we covered above . It s not like they used them in the offseason.

That would be akin to telling somebody in South Texas to set up on the blackbrush or cactus tunas on 2000 acres if they aren't hitting corn..... or set up on all the fresh green growth on a newly rained on West Texas property. Its just not that feasible from 5 hours away.
    Last edited by Smart; 10-03-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

OP .. I feel your pain. This is in our camp area. Maybe I should set up on top of my cabin[emoji23]

Comment

If you are familiar with your property, have access to google maps and can read a topo map.... then you can hunt without a feeder regardless of how many oak trees you have.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          If you are familiar with your property, have access to google maps and can read a topo map.... then you can hunt without a feeder regardless of how many oak trees you have.

Good luck....

Comment

I wish I had that problem...our place in Austin Co. is almost barren of acorns this year. Very scarce to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Good luck....
              Has nothing to do with luck. Pay attention to your surroundings. Wanna learn some go ride the fences (exterior and interior) looking for breaks and where deer cross that top wire or break it. Always the same spots. Then follow the clues. I’m fortunate that I don’t live 5 hours away and spent more time crawling through brush looking for cows than deer. By doing that I’ve found all kinds of hold ups for deer and what they prefer. Little hint you wanna know where the biggest buck on your lease is go ask the Mexican Ranch hand or the guy that feeds cattle every evening. Hell they can tell what time to go wait for them. My Great Uncle was the Ranch Foreman manager of the Whitehead ranches out of Fort McKavnett and Eldorado, thousands of acres. He knew where just about every big deer was and he brought them in like my granddad did.
              Last edited by BrandonA; 10-03-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Has nothing to do with luck. Pay attention to your surroundings. Wanna learn some go ride the fences (exterior and interior) looking for breaks and where deer cross that top wire or break it. Always the same spots. Then follow the clues. I’m fortunate that I don’t live 5 hours away and spent more time crawling through brush looking for cows than deer. By doing that I’ve found all kinds of hold ups for deer and what they prefer. Little hint you wanna know where the biggest buck on your lease is go ask the Mexican Ranch hand or the guy that feeds cattle every evening. Hell they can tell what time to go wait for them.

Good luck.......

Comment

Jason how long have you been on your lease? Long time. You don’t need to scout at this point you should know.

Comment

I would really like to have the time, and space that I used to, on years like this.

I know how and where to find them now. But that kind of time to scout, set up, and hunt, is just not available these days. Nevermind setting up something to get an 8 year old in to without queering the whole deal doin it.

I ain’t complaining though, me and him are gonna spend a bunch of time learning this year. We’ll probly push a few deer around doin it as well. We hit the lottery with the kids last year anyway.

It’s supposed to cool off some next week so I can do some scouting and set up while he’s hunting without me in Oklahoma...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I would really like to have the time, and space that I used to, on years like this.

I know how and where to find them now. But that kind of time to scout, set up, and hunt, is just not available these days. Nevermind setting up something to get an 8 year old in to without queering the whole deal doin it.

I ain’t complaining though, me and him are gonna spend a bunch of time learning this year. We’ll probly push a few deer around doin it as well. We hit the lottery with the kids last year anyway.

It’s supposed to cool off some next week so I can do some scouting and set up while he’s hunting without me in Oklahoma...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      DMo we have a lot of doe tags and buck tags and we got that fishin trip still. Figure out a date and let’s put it on calendar.

Comment

I’ve had very little activity at either of my feeders for the last 2wks due to a heavy acorn drop. Hopefully things will return back to normal soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          LOL...Come on now !!!

Charlie, you and I are usually on the same page here on this sight but that's freaking ridiculous talk. 4,400 acres of live oaks/shin oak trees and acorns on my side and the landowners side. There is no way in hell to pinpoint which tree a target buck is using living 5 hours away and trying to guess withing a 30 yards circle with a bow. No place to glass, not much area to walk honestly without boogering up your areas. Definitely a lot easier to sit at a desk and say to do it than do it.

If I hunted in East Texas and could "scout" the 10 whiteoak trees in a patch of 1,000 pines that's one thing... but pinpointing one deer and hanging your blind in one tree in 30,000-40,000 live and shin oaks is just not feasible.

I mean its not like you can pre-scout them before season. With that many trees you have to "scout while they are falling" which we covered above . It s not like they used them in the offseason.

That would be akin to telling somebody in South Texas to set up on the blackbrush or cactus tunas on 2000 acres if they aren't hitting corn..... or set up on all the fresh green growth on a newly rained on West Texas property. Its just not that feasible from 5 hours away.
                          Thank you.

Comment

Jason how long have you been on your lease? Long time. You don’t need to scout at this point you should know.

Exactly....12 years.....and is why I have been trying to tell folks that it is futile.

There are a ton of different variables in the terrain and LOs that nix your ranchhand tips and other suggestions that I don't really care to get in a pissing match with all of the "acorn tree" hunters of TBH on ....It's just the way it is and I'll leave it at that. We hunt some rough country....rough on equipment driving in general let alone trying to get to the fencelines, rough on human ankles and knees walking, and rough on animals that live on it. Plus I don't climb trees anymore...too old and fat. My lease members that are more agile don't jack with it either. We did some when we were younger but it just wasn't very productive. On the flipside our landowner ( from Arizona before they inherited the place), the grown adult son and son in law do nothing but spot and stalk their 2000 acre family side and have for 20 plus years. They hunt zero feeders. Their success rate is very, very low with a bow. I'm talking 2-3 archery bucks in that time period....and the LO has been doing SandS out west all his life now in his 60s. They kill most of their deer with rifles from elevated windmills rattling or SandS. We are 98% bow on our side so the rifle success does not translate. Add in the time constraints and its futile.

Comment

I know that kinda country very well. My family ranched that kinda country for decades. You might want to try what my family did for decades and fertizes some trees. I walked , crawled and through goats wouldn’t go looking for lost cows and calves. But the more elevation topography changes you have the easier to pin point deer movement

Comment

I know that kinda country very well. My family ranched that kinda country for decades. You might want to try what my family did for decades and fertizes some trees. I walked , crawled and through goats wouldn’t go looking for lost cows and calves. But the more elevation topography changes you have the easier to pin point deer movement

Ok

Comment

Working...
                                X