No announcement yet.

illegal buck at hagerman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any pictures of this buck? It might help educate people.

Comment

I saw the deer in the back of his truck the night before and it looked like it was only about 12". I was out there the next day. Someone said he was fined $800 but was able to keep his equipment and deer.

Comment

I know he got a ticket. I believe he hunts in Cass County which has been under antler restrictions for several years. He should have known better, and antler restrictions were also covered in the Saturday morning meeting. Hagerman is not necessarily a trophy only place, but they discourage taking of young bucks and try to impress the quality of buck you may see right after shooting an immature buck. They suggest not shooting a buck unless he is bigger than anything you've ever shot before.

Comment

Oops. My finger slipped!

Comment

Maybe that WAS bigger than anything he has ever shot before?? It can be hard for inexperienced hunters to field judge a deers antlers sometimes and a little buck fever can add to that issue.

Comment

Guy should be treated the same as anyone else , anywhere else in the state under AR.

Nothing more severe, nothing less severe.

Comment

I guess it might be different on Type II land but I was told that the state restitution for an illegal buck started at 1250. From there it was so much an inch. A guy in Franklin county shot a 147 last year and didn't tag it and the resitution was almost 5k. Thats not counting the fines.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
                  I guess it might be different on Type II land but I was told that the state restitution for an illegal buck started at 1250. From there it was so much an inch. A guy in Franklin county shot a 147 last year and didn't tag it and the resitution was almost 5k. Thats not counting the fines.

Wonder what he was thinking? Did he even have a license?

Comment

I could be wrong, but I was under the impresion that Hagerman was Federal, and if so it does not have to be the same. It would be under Federal law, not state. At least thats what I thought ????? Anyone

Comment

I feel bad for the guy......

Comment

Illegal Buck

I talked to the hunter for quite a lengthy time over the weekend hunt as he was hunting near me, even helped me on friday carry in my stand.
                        This was bigger than any deer he had hanging on the wall @ home. He told me he learned alot from this mistake, not only judging deer @ 40yds, but also his effective range of shooting on a live animal. He did the right thing bringing in and tagging the deer. G/W was not going to give him a citation but Refuge person was adamant he receive one. Had the G/W call his supervisor and he told the G/W yes, write the ticket. He did get to keep the deer and keep hunting. I beleive from what he told me the G/W will go befor the J/P to testify when the time comes for him to pay fine on the circumstances of the deer. The Refuge Manager told me She would NOT have let them write the ticket if she would have been there on Saturday night. This is the words the Hunter told me, and yes he is a member of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

Wonder what he was thinking? Did he even have a license?
                          Not at first. To show you just how stupid this guy was: He shot the deer while checking his cows on opening morning of rifle season. He then decided to take pics of the deer with his phone and send them to his buddies. I guess he got nervous so he decides to go buy a hunting license that day. 3 days later word gets around to the GW so he decides to go have a look at the deer. Guy tells him the story (changing the part about buying the license after he shot the deer). GW tells him congrats and starts to leave then stops and says let me see your license before I go. Dummy didn't even tag it.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I issued the ticket (State charge)and just want to set the record straight since there are several posts with mis-information.

First of all...the hunter is a standup guy and did the right thing by tagging and bringing the animal in to the check station. He just made a poor decission at the time the shot was taken.

Here are the facts:
                            -Hunter was a veteran bowhunter
                            -he hunts in an AR county that has had restriction for several years
                            -spred was 11 1/4" (note: it did have some mass)
                            -Hagerman staff aged the buck at 1 1/2 yrs old
                            -field dressed weight was 85 lbs.
                            -I let my Supv make the call which was to cite if it was a young deer.
                            -No fine has been set yet but I did explaine to the JP that it didn't warrant a max fine. Fine range is $25-$500
                            -No Civil restitution filed

Myths:

Hagerman officals insisted on citation
                            $800 fine
                            Manager wouldn't have let me issue the citation...I saw the Refuge Mgr and she didn't mention the incident much less tell me not to issue citation.

As I mentioned before, the hunter was a nice guy. I commend him on the fact that after he made a poor first shot, he went to great lenghts to get a second shot and recover the buck and bring it into the check station. Some hunters might have left it in the woods. This guy was a MAN and took responsibilty for his actions. That said I still have a responsibily to the resource.

One of the things the hunter told me was that he was grateful that none of the other hunter in the segment ridiculed or belittled him and that the officers were professional.

I know I don't have to explain myself but I wanted to get the facts out before posters start hammering the guy. He feels bad enough as it is.

Good Luck the rest of the season...and may your arrows fly true!

Comment

Dale, thanks for setting the record straight and for cutting the hunter some slack.
                              Last edited by Burnadell; 11-14-2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Dale, thank you for clearing it up.....

Comment

Working...
                                X