No announcement yet.

2017 east Texas velvet pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is "Untitled" by William shelly on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that just corn?

Comment

Rice bran

Comment

"You can't manage small property"
          "It doesn't do any good to feed protein on my place, I've only got 200 acres"
          "If I don't shoot him they'll get him on the other side of the fence"

100% myths busted. Well done Tony!

Comment

I have a feeling this will be a great year for us.
            I just secured 400 acres next door to me that has had almost 0 hunting pressure for years. The previous guy that was hunting it one or two weekends out of the year got booted for not keeping up the place. Now its mine to roam and hunt as i please. Only problem is the landowner prefer me to not use cameras. I thought it was kind of weird, but i have known him for a long time and trust he isnt pulling our chain and day leasing or anything. He is the only one that uses the place and he doesnt even like to hunt. There are lots of deer around the property. Saw a group of 6 bachelors while riding some of the trails yesterday. Two are questionable. The rack says shooter but i want to get a good look and age them. A third one is undoubtedly a shooter in my book. Got a good look at him to age. He looks like a buck i aged last year at 4 and his rack has grown substantially. The other three were all too young to worry about. Guess i will have to do this the old school way and do all my scouting from the ground prior to setting up any stands or hand corning. Will be a challenge without the use of cameras

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
              I have a feeling this will be a great year for us.

I just secured 400 acres next door to me that has had almost 0 hunting pressure for years. The previous guy that was hunting it one or two weekends out of the year got booted for not keeping up the place. Now its mine to roam and hunt as i please. Only problem is the landowner prefer me to not use cameras. I thought it was kind of weird, but i have known him for a long time and trust he isnt pulling our chain and day leasing or anything. He is the only one that uses the place and he doesnt even like to hunt. There are lots of deer around the property. Saw a group of 6 bachelors while riding some of the trails yesterday. Two are questionable. The rack says shooter but i want to get a good look and age them. A third one is undoubtedly a shooter in my book. Got a good look at him to age. He looks like a buck i aged last year at 4 and his rack has grown substantially. The other three were all too young to worry about. Guess i will have to do this the old school way and do all my scouting from the ground prior to setting up any stands or hand corning. Will be a challenge without the use of cameras

I'd have a discussion with him about the cameras. Maybe cook him a steak and have a few years pictures up. Discuss the importance of using cameras to dedicate target deer so field mistakes are less likely.

As far as the new property goes and very little pressure. It won't take long to change that if you're not careful. ANY intrusion is pressure to them if they haven't been conditioned. I'd try to find the thickest 15-20ac on that piece of property, feed heavily on the fringes, and never step foot in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                I'd have a discussion with him about the cameras. Maybe cook him a steak and have a few years pictures up. Discuss the importance of using cameras to dedicate target deer so field mistakes are less likely.

As far as the new property goes and very little pressure. It won't take long to change that if you're not careful. ANY intrusion is pressure to them if they haven't been conditioned. I'd try to find the thickest 15-20ac on that piece of property, feed heavily on the fringes, and never step foot in it.

Jooger,

I plan on getting together with him about the cameras a little more. As for finding the "thickest" part of the property, i'm not sure i know how to approach this. I mean the ENTIRE property is one giant thicket with several trails running in and around the whole place. Best thing i can think of is locating an oak flat in one of the bottoms. This type of property and situation is completely new to me. The way things are laid out, its tough to stay out of a certain area. Example, getting to the barn where the tractor is stored is in another part of the ranch.

There is a power line easement that runs parallel with the driveway. His cabin/weekend home is in the far back. He hired me and my father in law to build a new road system so we had trucks/tractors trailers and heavy equipment running back there for the last two months. I also have been running the tractor on all the trails to clear fallen trees and mow. I don't think the deer are fazed by it much. I suspect the property will go on the market real soon. If you have a few free minutes, i would like to PM you and get your thoughts on this. I should have some pics of the property lines someplace.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                  Jooger,

I plan on getting together with him about the cameras a little more. As for finding the "thickest" part of the property, i'm not sure i know how to approach this. I mean the ENTIRE property is one giant thicket with several trails running in and around the whole place. Best thing i can think of is locating an oak flat in one of the bottoms. This type of property and situation is completely new to me. The way things are laid out, its tough to stay out of a certain area. Example, getting to the barn where the tractor is stored is in another part of the ranch.

There is a power line easement that runs parallel with the driveway. His cabin/weekend home is in the far back. He hired me and my father in law to build a new road system so we had trucks/tractors trailers and heavy equipment running back there for the last two months. I also have been running the tractor on all the trails to clear fallen trees and mow. I don't think the deer are fazed by it much. I suspect the property will go on the market real soon. If you have a few free minutes, i would like to PM you and get your thoughts on this. I should have some pics of the property lines someplace.

I just walked out the door for a little green fish therapy Shoot me a PM and when I get home tonight we'll talk about it in length.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                    I just walked out the door for a little green fish therapy Shoot me a PM and when I get home tonight we'll talk about it in length.

Will do.
                    Thank you Sir

Comment

Mine are finally showing up on hand corn and hitting it hard. 50lbs a day nearly.

Got brow tines?

Pretty sure this is a 8 I've been watching for 3 yrs now. He's a slow grower and doesn't have a lot of tine length. Hopefully I can arrow him this year.

Last years pics of him.

Last years July velvet pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                        Mine are finally showing up on hand corn and hitting it hard. 50lbs a day nearly.

Got brow tines?

Pretty sure this is a 8 I've been watching for 3 yrs now. He's a slow grower and doesn't have a lot of tine length. Hopefully I can arrow him this year.

Last years pics of him.

Last years July velvet pic.

Looking good bud. I think you are right on the wide one being your buck from last year. Good luck on sticking him, always fun to have history with one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post

Holy brow tines!

Comment

It never takes them long to find a new corn pile. Not the guy I'm trying to close in on, but a little something to look at.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm excited to see how this guy finishes. He has really put it on in the last couple of weeks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                                I'm excited to see how this guy finishes. He has really put it on in the last couple of weeks.
                                Man they are far along, I need to get some cameras out!

Comment

Working...
                                X