X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    My peas and sunflowers were planted 2 weeks ago
    Coming in good
    BT, let's hope we get some rain soon, these peas need to pop pretty quick for them to make it !

Comment

Purdy good start on the peas in only two weeks, hope they out run the deer till they get knee high.

Comment

I shredded a new plot last week end, maybe a 1/3 acre. Its virgin ground and has never seen an implement. I have got to knock out two prickly pear patches and trim up a big mesquite to get my tractor underneath it. It takes a month to eliminate prickly pears as the herbicide takes time. I use Remedy Ultra with a mix of 3 quarts diesel and 1 quart Remedy. Best ratio I found to completely kill cactus.
        I will take some pics next weekend of the new plot. Soil samples are on the way to A&M.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          BT, let's hope we get some rain soon, these peas need to pop pretty quick for them to make it !
          It came a flood here the day after I planted

Figured all of mine would come up in a glob at the end of the patch

Hope yours get the rain you need

Comment

I....need....RAIN! The last two systems have blown up east of me.

Comment

Visited my Mt. Enterprise property today to see if the storms blew anything away ! All good around the house, so I looked at a couple pea plots. These peas were planted 5-7-17.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Got a little rain !
                Attached Files

Comment

Aannnnddd, put out four mineral blocks on our lease at Good Springs. Checked on those peas too, planted 25th of April I think......
                  Attached Files

Comment

Closeup......
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      Closeup......
                      Wow. That looks great.

Comment

Did I understand that you broadcast the peas? In your most recent pics it almost looks like they were drilled in. ( I see plants in straight lines.)

Comment

Yes, I broadcast, but see post no. 87. I almost straighten my disc gangs just to cut little grooves. After I broadcast fertilizer and the seed, the tire drag tends to push a lot of the seeds into those little grooves. You're not the first one to think they're drilled in ! There was a lot of trial and error when I started planting food plots years ago. Back then, most of them were " kill " plots consisting of wheat or oats with never a soil test and just some triple thirteen broadcast with the seed. About eight years ago, I bought the 217 acres in Rusk Co. where I could do anything that I could afford and I started trying different crops and different methods. Then I started reading on QDMA, Bowsite, and TBH also. I picked up info at each site, and still do. I've planted Power Plant, Extreme, WINA clover, straight feed store soybeans, lab-lab, Eagle RR soybeans, iron clay peas, brassicas, purple top turnips, wheat, bob oats, Buck Forage oats, and cereal rye. I have settled on WINA clover as a perennial plot, iron clay peas in the spring, and wheat in the fall. The clover lasts three to six years with minimal maintenance, deer love it,it's available when I'm between spring and fall plots, and it's high in protein. The peas are the cheapest soybean substitute and comes closest to soybean nutrition. I can not tell any difference in regular feed store wheat and the twice-the-price forage oats. As many plots as I grow, I need the most bang for my bucks because mostly I'm footing the bill.

I will say that the right kind of beans can be both a spring/summer crop and carry over into the fall/winter if conditions are right and you get a good crop. I'm told that when the leaves on the beans start to turn yellow, you can broadcast wheat and it will germinate under the fallen leaves for some late season greens, plus you get the actual beans if you plant the right kind. Eagle RR beans are $125 a sack where I've bought them, so you pays your money and you takes your choice ! This is a pic of some RR beans in December. The vines were loaded with beans. I'm pretty sure "my" deer had never seen a soybean, but the learning curve was very short !
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-15-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Same beans in August......
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the follow up. I'm a rookie as far as food plots go. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your knowledge and experience. Thanks much.

Comment

Originally posted by buckerup View Post
                                Thanks for the follow up. I'm a rookie as far as food plots go. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your knowledge and experience. Thanks much.
                                You are welcome ! The most important thing in planting food plots IMO, is a soil test, then use the right amount of lime to get your soil amended to as close to neutral as possible, then match the fertilizer recommendations as closely as possible. Everthing else is secondary.

Comment

Working...
                                X