No announcement yet.

remote tree watering system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When i plant trees, i dig out the grass around the tree 2-4 feet, just scrap it down enough to get the roots out, u can then spray a little round-up to kill the remainding roots, also there is a product called PREEN, u can sprinkle it around the tree to help prevent weed growth, then build a mote around the tree to help with watering, should be built just outside the hole that was dug, when it does rain it will help filter more water into the base of the tree. Also 2-4 inches of mulch will help with weed suppression and moisture control, just be sure not to put to much around the trunk. As far as insects, the soap works, but there are lots of granuals that can be sprinkled around the base of the tree, the bugs will eat that first before climbing. sorry for the long post.

Comment

oh and even though you used a root stimulator, drop a coulple handfuls of a granual fertilzer around the base, i usually throw it in the hole before planting, but on top around the trunk works well, i prefer OSMOCOTE!!

Comment

You may not want to hear this one but if they are trees fresh off a nursery you should cut about the top half of the tree to allow the root to shoot ratio to balance out. You will get fruit faster this way and your young trees will not be as stressed.

Comment

When I plant trees, I mix the dirt from the hole 50/50 with a good compost. Mix in a little organic (such as medina growing green) fertilizer. Do not dig the hole deeper than the pot the tree came in. But dig it about twice as big around, in a square, this will help keep the roots from becoming root bound, but might not be such and issue in the sand.
          You will want to bury the tree at the same depth as it was in the pot, bury it deeper and in a few years you will run the risk of the trunk rotting out and killing the tree.
          And don't skimp on the mulch, but like mentioned, pull it away from the trunk a little.

Comment

Working...
          X