Fannin Unit Caddo Grasslands-Archery Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fannin Unit Caddo Grasslands-Archery Only

It's official. The Fannin Unit of the Caddo National Grasslands is archery only for deer and hogs. 1700 acres on the Red River. More hogs than deer.

Here's a link to the Decision document.

Directions - http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recrea...kefannin.shtml

You can't hunt in the 200 acre area around the lodges and cabins.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Will special seasons be implemented for hogs or will it be year round?
    And how will it be policed? Posted? Surveyed? Governed?

Comment

Dang Pat. You sure ask tough questions.

Policed by Forest Service Law Enforcement and TP&W Game Wardens.

Boundaries are marked and they have fire lines aound the property. Corners are marked with red bands around three trees and a monument.

Wildlife survey and check in forms will be made available at bulletin boards and will be mandatory.

Shotgun hunting for small game will still be allowed. No shot larger than #4.

All you need to hunt there is a state hunting license.

Comment

Any changes on the Bois D'Arc and Ladonia units? (16,000 acres) They've always been rifle and shotgun during the general season and archery only in october.

Comment

sweet! its beautiful up in there

Comment

Thats is excellent, that area will really see some great changes in the deer herd in size and quality in the years to come. I met two guys from bonham in fannin county at matador a few years ago, they said they wished fannin was an archery only county like grayson, which is the county just to the west on fannin. They said the difference in the deer herd and buck quality between the two counties was amazing considering they bordered each other.
            Last edited by DFWarcher; 08-14-2008, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWarcher View Post
              Thats is excellent, that area will really see some great changes in the deer herd in size and quality in the years to come. I met two guys from bonham in fannin county at matador a few years ago, they said they wished fannin was an archery only county like grayson, which is the county just to the west on fannin. They said the difference in the deer herd and buck quality between the two counties was amazing considering they bordered each other.
              yup, i have walked those woods several times always wishing they would open it up for archery only. that county has some potential if they would change it

Comment

No change

The regulation son the Bois D'Arc and Ladonia Units remain the same. You still need the state Public Hunting Lands permit to hunt there.

Comment

Well when they say archery only does that include us cross bow hunters? We sometimes get left out all the way around.

Comment

Crossbow hunters

The regs at Lake Fannin are the same as the state. If you have an upper limb handiacp and a letter on your person from your doctor you can use a crossbow during the archery season and also during the gun season.

Saw lots of hog sign there last week.

Comment

I'm thinking about making the drive next week to look at it----and I"m looking forward to it!.......

Comment

Well when they say archery only does that include us cross bow hunters? We sometimes get left out all the way around.
                        as far as I'm concerned crossbow is not archery equipment

Comment

This is great news! I used to hunt squirrels up there with a buddy of mine when we were kids. His grandparents lived within walking distance, sort of. Wish I still lived in the area to take advantage of this opportunity. I'm not sure what the boundaries are for hunting, but we always saw deer along the creek below the dam.

Comment

wow

Comment

BOTH comments.....

about crossbows were outa line. You guys need to chill.

Yes, if you have the requisite paperwork necessary to shoot with your crossbow, you are eligible to hunt ANYWHERE archery hunters can also!

In my opinion---if it's a LEGAL way to hunt you have the RIGHT to do it YOUR WAY. This includes the age old baiting vs. non, no fence vs. high fence.

Good luck, have a safe season!

Comment

Working...
                              X