Buying new vehicle out of state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying new vehicle out of state?

Anyone done it? Pain? Easy? What about paying sales tax in that state or Texas?

U bought a pickup in Shreveport, LA once, and the dealer took care of the title work and taxes. Easy peasy, but I don't remember where taxes were paid, but only in one state. Ask your dealer.

Comment

I flew to MS to buy a vehicle last year. They picked me up at the airport drove me to the dealership. I wrote a check for the price we had agreed upon. They sent me down the road with a temp tag. I did have the dealership sign a Texas 130-U. I took it back home had it inspected, went to an auto title place, paid the sales tax and a few weeks later my plates showed up. Wasn't too difficult.

Comment

No tax

U pay that here when u register it here at DMV w plates

Comment

Thanks. Was going to call them and ask, but wanted some experience over sales talk. Cant find the truck I want in Texas but plenty in NM and MO

Comment

When I bought a vehicle (located in Texas but Michigan dealership) we paid 5% Michigan tax to the dealership and paid the difference here in TX when registering. You will need to get it inspected with a green sheet and take that to the registrar.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
              No tax

U pay that here when u register it here at DMV w plates
              Depends on the state. If you pay in the state you bought it in, then you pay the difference in TX if it was less than 6.25%.

Comment

I've never done it but saw multiple threads on camaro6 of buyers saying how simple it was...some flew to drive home & others had them delivered.

Kinda crazy you can't find the truck you want in tx though!!
                Last edited by Artos; 05-19-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

3% tax for vehicles here in NM.

Comment

I never have, any vehicle I've wanted I have just had ordered. Can't see myself going to another state for one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      I've never done it but saw multiple threads on camaro6 of buyers saying how simple it was...some flew to drive home & others had them delivered.

Kinda crazy you can't find the truck you want in tx though!!
                      F250 with 6.2 and the 4.30 rear ends are about impossible to find in Texas unfortunately

Comment

out of state

Bought an Ecoboost years back from Woodhouse in Blair, Ne.

Did everything over the phone / via Fed Ex. Had the truck delivered. Thanks to the poor logistics of DAS auto shippers out of Mesquite, Texas I had paid the TX tax and had my plates and registration sticker about 2 weeks before the truck showed up. They did manage to take it from Blair, to Colorado, then home to Texas without a scratch on it.

If I did it again I would have the dealer bring it to me...or fly up and drive it back. And yes - you can save that much money to make it worth it. At least at the time you could on an F150. They were honest when I was F350 and Jeep Grand Cherokee shopping and told me to get them local.

Comment

I bought my Tacoma in Colorado. Real easy deal, and they handled all Texas taxes, and mailed me my plates.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            When I bought a vehicle (located in Texas but Michigan dealership) we paid 5% Michigan tax to the dealership and paid the difference here in TX when registering. You will need to get it inspected with a green sheet and take that to the registrar.
                            Same here---bought it in Virginia and when Uncle Sam brought me back to Texas, I paid the difference when I put Texas plates on it.

Comment

Bought my F250 in KS and paid Tax here at DMV to get my tags. The KS dealer had everything in an envelope ready to go for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X