Hare/jack rabbit recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hare/jack rabbit recipes

I've noticed you yanks eat pretty much anything (coming from someone that loves food and trying new things that's a compliment!).

I was wondering whether anyone has a recipe for Hare or what I think you call jack rabbit. They're not really considered a delicacy in australia more a pest but I have heard of them being quite good table fare.

We have the European brown Hare in Australia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hank Shaw has some recipes that are supposed to be pretty good. I'll see if I can find them. I've ate them before but it was just grilled over a fire and that's definitely not the way to go. Too tough for that but the flavor is okay.

Comment

http://honest-food.net/hare-stew-hard-times/

Comment

I've always heard jack rabbits are nasty. Never tried one myself though.

Comment

Rabbit Gumbo

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHIK9VDrGtw"]Rabbit Gumbo - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

In my opinion all wild rabbits are tasty, but a bit tough and require slow moist cooking. There are a number of suitable recipes for rabbit, such as a fricassee, sauce piquante, stew, gumbo, etc. You can find numerous recipes on the net for any of these, but another way I like rabbit is smoked or BBQ using the Texas crutch method. This is simply low temperature smoking for 1 to 2 hours and then sealing with or without a sauce in aluminum foil for the remainder of the low temp cooking time, while some will unwrap at the end and maybe baste again with sauce. Rabbit/hare, even jackrabbit, is certainly edible game as long as it is prepared right. Enjoy!

Comment

I quarter and dredge in flour , brown in cast iron skillet then transfer to a crockpot. In the crock pot add carrots, celery,pearl onions and quartered potatoes and couple of sprigs of thyme. Add a cup of chicken stock and 2 tablespoons of butter and salt and pepper . Cook on low for 3 hours ( do not open the lid ) . After 3 hours open the lid add one cup of dry white wine and cook for one more hour. One side note , I usually throw away the ribs... not enough meat on them and too many small bones. Bon Apetit !

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                In my opinion all wild rabbits are tasty, but a bit tough and require slow moist cooking. There are a number of suitable recipes for rabbit, such as a fricassee, sauce piquante, stew, gumbo, etc. You can find numerous recipes on the net for any of these, but another way I like rabbit is smoked or BBQ using the Texas crutch method. This is simply low temperature smoking for 1 to 2 hours and then sealing with or without a sauce in aluminum foil for the remainder of the low temp cooking time, while some will unwrap at the end and maybe baste again with sauce. Rabbit/hare, even jackrabbit, is certainly edible game as long as it is prepared right. Enjoy!
                Long, slow and moist is definitely the way to go with Hare. I will pressure cook it until tender, then shred it and then add to any number of favorite recipes that use shredded meat.

Comment

I've eaten many cottontails and jack rabbits growing up. Young cottontails got fried and all jack rabbits were ground into chili meat.

Comment

I haven't tried Jackrabbit yet, but I discovered just over a year ago that cottontail rabbits are delicious! Even my 4-6yr old daughters love rabbit that has been slow cooked in a stew with carrots and vegetables. It's very flavorful meat, and it light colored like chicken when cooked.

Comment

I LOVE to eat rabbits/ hares. One of my favorites.

Most recipes I have from the 60's say to quick fry for a minute or two on each side. Then put in a pot or large pan with onions, mushrooms, spices (mostly salt and pepper) to flavor, and sauce that covers it. Cook in a medium (325 - 350 degree F) oven for 45 - 60 minutes, sometimes longer. Lower temps and longer cooking = more tender. That's pretty much the basic recipe.

For sauces, you can use beef broth or chicken broth that is lightly thicken with corn starch. (boil the broth, while boiling, mix 2T corn starch with 2-4T COLD water until dissolved, mix it in with the broth stirring constantly until thickened. More corn starch = thicker, more water = thinner gravy).

Comment

What do you call a group of rabbits walking backwards?

Receding hare line

Never gets old

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          What do you call a group of rabbits walking backwards?

Receding hare line

Never gets old

Comment

After roasting an ole jack rabbit over a wood fire my grandad call it rubber jack

Comment

Australian Jackrabbit

Yall got some big Jackrabbits down there..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X