Sam Houston NF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Houston NF

Got my doe tag for this year. Do any of you guys have any experience in Sam Houston Forest or any tips about what not to do. I have been reading up on the rules to try and get familiar with them. What do you think the odds are on getting a doe out there? Any knowledge you are willing to pass on to me would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

CW

Here's the yearly thread dedicated to the SHNF

Comment

Thank you for the reply. That's a lot of talking about stuff and little about the Sam.

Comment

There is a ton of info in the older SHNF annual threads. There are good odds you will fill the tag if you put in some effort.

No one will give you spots so the best advise is scout alot get some game cameras setup with locks. Look for the hardwood trees, funnel points, creek beds etc on google earth, then get boots on the ground and go check them out. The deeper farther from the crowd you go the better your odds.

Comment

The thread has pretty much become a banter session for those of us that hunt it a lot. Even being good friends, we still don't even give up too much info to each other, much less share spots. There's a lot of secrecy seeing how hard it's pressured and how many hunters there are out there. Everyone's been burned out there from giving too much info. If you have specific questions, you can ask them, but it generally takes a lot of hard work to find good spots and that's all there is to it. No such thing as easy success in the Sam. Acorns are always good to find, but trees that produce are usually scarce. Otherwise find the beat down trails and then look for the reason they use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
            Thank you for the reply. That's a lot of talking about stuff and little about the Sam.
            Lol you got a point there buddy

Comment

Just get out there and scout. Follow creeks and transitions in the woods. Find fresh sign and set up. Shooting a doe is very doable. As far as what not to do, don't leave anything out there that unless your ok with it coming up missing. Other than that just be respectful of other hunters. If there's a truck parked where you want to go, just go somewhere else. There's plenty of woods. Over time with more scouting you'll eventually come up with several areas you really like. Good luck.

Comment

Looking forward to getting out there to do some scouting myself. This is the first year drawing a doe permit out there. It is a bit of a task as there is a lot of ground to cover. I figure I just have start somewhere and then I can go from there. I have been heavily checking OnX Maps to help decide where to start my search. For my first time being down there my main priority is to just learn the lay of the land as best I can. Secondly it would be a great added benefit to fill this doe permit. If a legal buck happens to make a mistake even better.

Comment

Sounds great. I am going to try and get out there this weekend to go scout and get familiar with a few places and roads. Honestly, I would be happy just being out there exploring the woods.

Comment

In the 1st 10 minutes my son and I hunted it last year we passed on an 8ptr. Living 3+ hours away its hard to get out there and scout. I just drove down the road and said hey, this looks like it's walk-able. We setup on an old logging road about 150 yards in. I told my boy if anything steps in that road you have 30 seconds to make smoke. He is 10. While he was cutting up an apple to eat the buck stepped in the road. Gun was lying across his lap. When the buck turned his head I grabbed the gun and threw the scope on him. I have never hunted any place that had width restrictions. His antlers were at the tips of his ears but I was not 100% positive it was 13". We used this moment as a learning opportunity as my son and I talked through the pros and cons. He asked me not to shoot. We just watched for a second, the deer took 2 more steps and vanished.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post

True. Hadn’t read through this years. Some of the older ones have some good info in them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redbone View Post
                        Just get out there and scout. Follow creeks and transitions in the woods. Find fresh sign and set up. Shooting a doe is very doable. As far as what not to do, don't leave anything out there that unless your ok with it coming up missing. Other than that just be respectful of other hunters. If there's a truck parked where you want to go, just go somewhere else. There's plenty of woods. Over time with more scouting you'll eventually come up with several areas you really like. Good luck.
                        Redbone is right, it’s pretty much all timber so get on USGS or MyTopo and find the terrain you can’t see from satellite, and go check it out. I haven’t hunted there but I’ve spent some time there and saw lots of sign around upper draws and thick-to-thin transition zones.

Comment

Working...
                        X