Live colo M.Deer and elk. day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live colo M.Deer and elk. day 1

stopped off to see some friends in La Veta Colo on my way to a dream hunt for big bucks and bulls in a very limited trophy area. Here are some results from practice stalks in souther col o. I will arrive to start scouting in camp tomorrow.
    Attached Files

Jealous. Good luck!!

Comment

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Full Circle; days 2-4.

I became a bowhunter during the four years I lived in colo. This was in the early 1980s.There was no limited archery units until 1984 ,so you could just buy a license and bowhunt almost anywhere. I never saw another hunter in the backcountry where I chose to hunt. It was a good area and I consistently found elk and saw some world class mule deer too . I held out for a 6 pt elk, and went three years without filling my tag. I made almost every mistake a beginning bowhunter can make. Wrong pin, Wrong yardage, wrong wind, you get the idea. When I moved back to texas in 84 I chose other areas in southern colo and New mexico to bowhunt elk,until now.
        Now that I am 65 and have taken nearly two dozen bulls with a bow I wanted to go back to where it all began and see the changes time has brought to this beautiful high country. I trained in the franklins mnts this summer, near my home in Nm to get ready for this backcountry adventure. I still have the fire to do this and the body seems to be holding up
        So here I am camped at 11 ,500 with drop camps of other bowhunters. one mile either side of me. But there are elk around now and I hope there is an ole mossy horned muley buck as I have drawn a tag for each. So far in three days of scouting I have seen moose. Bighorn rams. And of course, Elk but no bucks. And the archery sheep hunters I talked to have not seen bucks either. Those visions of 200 plus non typicals, I used to see, may be a thing of the past. Only time will tell. The season starts sat and I hope the big elk herd of 236 plus elk I saw disperses into smaller herds soon. Then I I think the big bulls will come out of their summer hide outs looking for cows in the next 10 days. In the meantime, I hope to find one of those lone bulls and silently stalk up on him.or maybe a big mulie. Don’t know when I will come back to town for internet service so be patient

Comment

Nice pictures, and good luck on your hunt!

Comment

so pics are here
            Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful country!! thanks for sharing your hunt... Best of luck out there. What is the weather like in regards to temps?? Both day and night time temps??

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                Jealous. Good luck!!
                X2

Comment

Good luck David!

Comment

Man look amazing good Luck!

Comment

Following and GL sir!

Comment

Target rich environment. Love Colorado!