No announcement yet.

Ford Engine - 5.0 V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been in the shop 5 times! Bought it in may... Got 20000 miles on it. Check engine light comes on every time it rains.... Ford tells me they are working on a fix.... Haven't seen it for 3 months.... My truck averages 11.8 mpg withe the tires and wheels. I will say it's got way more power than any v8 on the market and it has torque like a diesel! However I hate putting my new truck in the shop every other week!

Comment

I have about 1600 miles on my Ecoboost, its 4x4 with the 3.55 gears. The truck is averaging 19.2 so far. It has gotten over 24 before. Just remember that it takes the motor between 4-7000 miles to get broke in. They say the mileage will improve then. I love the truck

Comment

I've heard that the mileage is only like 1-2 mpg better on the eco boost than the 5.0. It seems like the extra cost for that motor negates any of the mpg advantages. Another thing to think about is the cost of maintenance down the road, I would think the 5.0 will be cheaper to fix in the event something goes wrong after the warranty runs out. Also, I think the 5.0 will breakdown less, being that it doesnt have turbos and its not a small engine pushing big HP numbers. Just my thoughts, I am also a former chevy guy that was wanting an eco boost until I actually did some reading on them. Now Im pretty sure I will be buyig a 5 liter when I get a new truck.

Comment

I heard from a very knowledgeable ford guy ecoboost is having tons of problems. I purchased a ford f150 crew cab last week and got the v6 non Eco boost. I've always had v8s and last truck was big diesel. I love it so far. Don't plan to pull anything big with it but coming home 7 hrs pulling empty lowboy couldn't tell it was back here. Getting great mpg - better than ecoboost and truck flat out runs great and strong. If I gave u a ride and said it have v8 you would believe it. I drove em all and for what your wanting its all u need.

Our new Chevy Tahoe has been biggest piece of crap ever and the 5.3 flex fuel is burning oil like crazy. Less than 50k miles - electrical problems like crazy
          Last edited by Howard; 10-21-2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

You won't have to worry about the warranty.... It will prolly get you killed before the warranty runs out...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350863030.150259.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	24130712
              Love it so far..... Back seat has way more leg room for passengers than my super duty did but not side by side room

Comment

I have 14,000 on my ecoboost 4x4. I love it....

Comment

About 8K on my 2012 Eco and the lifetime mpg average is 17.5. My daily commute (which probably makes up the majority of the average) is 4 signals (with two school zones, 30-50 MPH), 10 miles of freeway, and 3 more signals. Take a weekend road trip probably once a quarter.

Love the power. Haven't pulled anything with it but my father has an eco and it pulls a 22' boat just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecoboost View Post
                    Been in the shop 5 times! Bought it in may... Got 20000 miles on it. Check engine light comes on every time it rains.... Ford tells me they are working on a fix.... Haven't seen it for 3 months.... My truck averages 11.8 mpg withe the tires and wheels. I will say it's got way more power than any v8 on the market and it has torque like a diesel! However I hate putting my new truck in the shop every other week!
                    find a better dealer its not ford its your support. Eddie yalklin kingsville.

Comment

I have both. Mine is the 5.0. 4x4 Sounds great when you goose it . My wife's is the Ecoboost. It is a quiet engine. My
                      Wife gets 3 to 4 mpg better than I get.
                      The Ecoboost is very peppy. I was very surprised.
                      You cannot compare the creature comforts to the others (I checked out Chevy, ram, Toyota) Ford wins hands down.

I drove a Chevy z71 4x4 before this.

Comment

If you are looking for mileage you need to look at dodge as well. My work truck is a dodge with a 5.3 hemi in it and I average 20-22 on the highway. I have put 60k on her this year with no issues

Comment

I bet Ecoboost wishes he could change his screen name, lol. You gotta go give a call to "Ford". Not the dealer, but Ford themselves if service dept isn't getting issue fixed. That dealer may need a swift kick in the shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                            If you are looking for mileage you need to look at dodge as well. My work truck is a dodge with a 5.3 hemi in it and I average 20-22 on the highway. I have put 60k on her this year with no issues
                            No MPG would make me drive a Dodge! Sorry I just don't like the way they look.

Comment

For the extra cost of the EcoBst you can have the 5.0 getting the same mileage with a coue aftermarket bolt ons. I will be having to make the same decision when I make my next purchase.

Jason

Comment

Go with the ecoboost, does everything great! Power, hauls, mileage, comfort, looks! Heres mine, 2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350864337.671453.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	24130718

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350864385.683507.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	24130719

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350864466.354801.jpg