Wagyu NY Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowman View Post
    Kobe is Wagyu. its the black hided breed. Akaushi is wagyu, its the red/brown hided breed.
    Kobe is Wagyu but American raised Wagyu is not Kobe beef...right? So, from my understanding, the stuff Yamamoto raises is not Kobe.

Anyway that strip steak looks great and I am anxious to try some.
    Last edited by Cantcatch5; 02-18-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I tried this with a Prime 1 strip steak from HEB. It was good but could not tell the difference between it and a Choice strip from HEB. What is the difference between Prime1 and Prime and is that the same? I know Prime is supposed to be better than Choice but have been disappointed a few times paying a higher price and not seeing the difference in taste or tenderness.
      Last edited by Mertzon Man; 02-18-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I cook all my steaks in an smoking hot iron skillet for about 2 minutes per side. I never merinate mine, just a little salt, pepper and garlic powder. Never have any complaints. If anyone ever wants one more than rare I will put it in the oven for a few minutes extra to get to medium or well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
          Where did you get the meat? I have read about Wagyu and Kobe beef but never seen it in a store.
          Central market has it for $50 a lbs all the time.
          Whenever I'm feeling flush I'll grab a quarter pound to treat me and the misses.

Central market is HEB's version of Whole Foods

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
            Kobe is Wagyu but American raised Wagyu is not Kobe beef...right? So, from my understanding, the stuff Yamamoto raises is not Kobe.

Anyway that strip steak looks great and I am anxious to try some.
            No Wagyu raised in America is going to be true Japanese beef for obvious reasons. A alot of Domesticated Japanese style beef is Angus bulls covering Akaushi (red/brown Wagyu) female cows. At HeartBrand they use domestic Akaushi bulls and cows to get a purebred domestic Japanese style beef. Pretty sure they brought over their original genetics from Japan in the early '90s

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
              I tried this with a Prime 1 strip steak from HEB. It was good but could not tell the difference between it and a Choice strip from HEB. What is the difference between Prime1 and Prime and is that the same? I know Prime is supposed to be better than Choice but have been disappointed a few times paying a higher price and not seeing the difference in taste or tenderness.
              I only buy prime from behind the glass at HEB. I like getting there early in the day and will pick out the best steaks. The selection dwindles in the late afternoon and evening. At those prices, if I can’t find good looking steaks, I will pass. On occasion the prime they have out looks like it should have been graded as choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
                HEB Prime1 is USDA Prime beef that has been dry aged for 14 days. That's the only difference.

If you want to read up on how usda grading is done, check this out: https://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                  HEB Prime1 is USDA Prime beef that has been dry aged for 14 days. That's the only difference.

If you want to read up on how usda grading is done, check this out: https://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/
                  Thanks for the info!

Comment

My father in law sells Waygu if y’all are interested I could get his website name.

Comment

Thanks for the details.

Comment

Working...
                      X