No announcement yet.

Bleaching your own skulls.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the post, I was just asking about this earlier today, and I was going to post this very question.

Comment

great information

Comment

For a couple of years I just put a head on a fireant mound and it was clean in a couple of weeks. Last year my deer killed or moved 3 mounds and now I have a head with year old skin on it. How is the best way to remove it now?

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
          For a couple of years I just put a head on a fireant mound and it was clean in a couple of weeks. Last year my deer killed or moved 3 mounds and now I have a head with year old skin on it. How is the best way to remove it now?
          Maceration would probably be your best bet now.........Just let it soak for a week or two in water........

Comment

Awesome thread, Will!
            Jeff Young

Comment

Will I need to get you my Muley head for you to macerate it.

Comment

Good idea will. Gonna get it done asap one of my deer and my ram. Whats up with the plaques? Pm me and let me know.

Comment

When macerating a deer head, if its a buck, do you sumerge everything (antlers included) in the water?

Would it be easier to purchase a colony of beetles? I've tried boiling, and quite frankly, I ruined an axis mount
                  Last edited by yakin ag; 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Bleaching your own skulls is not hard, just takes a little time.
                    1. First you must have a pot big enough for your skull.
                    2. Add one box of baking soda to your water, this brings down the boiling point of water.
                    3. Bring water to a boil, then bring it down to a simmer, where water is barely turning, you don't actually boil the skull if you do you damage the skull.
                    4. Simmer the skull 4 to 6 hrs, depending on the size.
                    5. It is improtant that you let the pot with the skull cool down before taking out the skull. If you pull skull out hot, it will likely crack.
                    6. Gently remove meat, ligaments and what ever else remains on the skull, rinse with clean water when done.
                    7. Once all has been removed, you now need to degrease skull.
                    8. Buy some Dawn dishwashing liquid, along with some house hold amonia.
                    9. Place the skull in a big enough container, add the dishwashing liquid the more the merrier, add the amonia, about 4 quarts, the amonia will remove most of the bad smell and help the degreasing process.
                    10. Let the skull degrease for a week, when the solution looks like gravy, remove and repeat process for another week, degreasing is complete when there are no more yellow spots on skull.
                    11. Once skull has been degreased you can start the whitening process.
                    12. Purchase cream peroxide and quick white (white hair dye) from a beauty salon.
                    13. Mix about 1.5 scoops of quick white and 1 cup cream peroxide, mixture verys, mix together and apply with a brush to skull. This will whiten skull, once dry it will look like dried baking powder, repeat to desired whiteness.
                    14. Bleaching done.

Comment

Euro mounts are my favorite. I've done euros on several animals I've killed, but I prefer to leave the skulls a natural color. I clean and degrease them, but I stop there. Just a personal preference, your mounts look awesome!

Comment

Great advice - much appreciated! I have a friend who uses a power washer to get the flesh off the skull, and then he boils it in water to get the brain matter out.

Comment

Takeing off the meat by boiling

If I take off the meat by boiling the skull of a buck, does it matter if the horns are in the boiling water? Thanks.

Comment

don't boil it as it will make the bones brittle.....keep the water to a simmer and it will not hurt the horns, just don't let them touch the side of the pot. It could actually burn the horn. Use a rag or something like that to protect the horn where it may rest or touch the pot......

Comment

great info thanks

Comment

Thanks - have a Corsican head in the freezer I need to get done.

Comment

Working...
                                X