Tundra or Chevy PU and why??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
    I bought a new '08 Tundra which my son now owns and drives to college. It has 275,000 miles and has rarely given us any grief. Bought a new '16 Tundra about 1 1/2 years ago and it is by far the best truck I've ever owned. Both are better than anything I've ever driven by a long shot. I got the big gas tank on the '16. Both have the 5.7 V8.

Get the Tundra Kuma. You won't regret it. Just be careful not to get a used vehicle that may have been under water from the hurricanes we had.
    I've had a Tundra years past and it is powerful, no doubt. Just from net searches, the Chev's, used, seem to be a little higher with comparable used Tundra's. I know...used vs new, but the longest drives I take anymore are to the lease and back, lol, ahh...retirement.

I've checked the value from several sources on my King Ranch and trade in averages around $24-25K. Looking for cash difference that works for us in the trade. Oh well.....not willing to worry about the next repair bill anymore.

Comment

I am not sure who mentioned it in another thread. I switched to 93 octane on my 6.2 and picked up over 2 mpg at 75-80. My truck averages around 17 at those speeds on the way to the lease. It is typically fairly heavily loaded on those trips but no trailer.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a small fleet of '15-'16 Chevy Suburbans and Silverados (5 total).

HORRIBLE reliability. We have placed 2 complete brake systems, 2 transmissions, 2 fuel injector systems, 1 transfer case, one rear differential, and have numerous interior issues (molding falling off, ceiling coming down, back of front seat coming off). I just noticed in the last few days the lifters on mine is really starting to make some clacking noise and the brakes are starting to have issues again. I'm not going to do anything with it seeing it is going away in 30 days. These are just the issues I can think of off the top of my head. Keep in mind, we only keep vehicle 3 years or 65K miles (which ever is first), so these vehicle never get any age on them. These are all bought direct from GM, don't go thru a dealer.

Needless to say, we have left GM for greener pastures.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 02-11-2018, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
          We have a small fleet of '15-'16 Chevy Suburbans and Silverados (5 total).

HORRIBLE reliability. We have placed 2 complete brake systems, 2 transmissions, 2 fuel injector systems, 1 transfer case, one rear differential, and have numerous interior issues (molding falling off, ceiling coming down, back of front seat coming off). I just noticed in the last few days the lifters on mine is really starting to make some clacking noise and the brakes are starting to have issues again. I'm not going to do anything with it seeing it is going away in 30 days. These are just the issues I can think of off the top of my head. Keep in mind, we only keep vehicle 3 years or 65K miles (which ever is first), so these vehicle never get any age on them. These are all bought direct from GM, don't go thru a dealer.

Needless to say, we have left GM for greener pastures.
          My cousin has the same size fleet, his guys do HVAC. He will only buy GM. I don't really take what happens to fleets into account. I think some of those guys try to break stuff to hang out at the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
            Had a tundra, and went to a 3/4 ton Chevy. My main complaints were parts price and bed size on the tundra. I think Chevy has more comfortable seats, but I miss the crew max cab space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to add my FIL experience. He has a 2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax with about 162K on it. By no means has it been babied. He has gone through normal wear items (brake pads, battery, etc.), but nothing major. His door handles stick from time to time, and the passenger side power window occasionally won’t roll up without slamming the door hard. I did notice the chrome on his grill is beginning to bubble in a few places. He has been happy with it for the most part, but says he won’t buy another one. He came from 20+ years of driving a Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
              My cousin has the same size fleet, his guys do HVAC. He will only buy GM. I don't really take what happens to fleets into account. I think some of those guys try to break stuff to hang out at the shop.

These are all driven by either company executives or directors. They do not abuse their vehicles.

Comment

Another tundra guy here. No questions asked. I got a demo’d 2016 with 6700 miles in late 2016 for 36k. And I’ve been offered that for the truck with almost 45k miles on it now a year and a half later. Reliability is what makes toyota stand out. Mileage sucks but I don’t buy trucks based on gas mileage. It pulls a 24’ el pescador with ease and stays around 11-12 when doing so. It averages about 14mpg with everyday city driving in traffic and such. Never personally owned a GM vehicle and never will. Have driven several chevys for work and each one had more problems than I could remember.

Comment

These are all driven by either company executives or directors. They do not abuse their vehicles.
                  Man, I know several company execs that do not care about their lease or company provided vehicle. In fact, execs are typically the only ones that do not get gps imposed speeds or warnings. They also do not care about any maintenance unless imposed by company policy that they set. Your company may be the exception.

Comment

Are you guys moving over to Toyota?

Comment

15’ tundra crew max with 142k, only complaint is fuel tank size. Will be disappointed if I don’t get 300k before something major. I’ll pay the extra coin at the pump for the reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                        Are you guys moving over to Toyota?

Going back to Chrysler/Fiat.

We are part of a much larger fleet that runs about 2-3K vehicles at any given time.

My experience I stated is just within our direct office group.

Comment

Going back to Chrysler/Fiat.

We are part of a much larger fleet that runs about 2-3K vehicles at any given time.

My experience I stated is just within our direct office group.
                          I am at a loss If Chrysler/Fiat gets the nod over GM. Unless all of the fleet is driving and not working. Resale and fuel mileage would kill that for most.

Comment

To bad the tundra looks like a Chevy chit it out ...

Comment

I have a 2010 4x4 Tundra. Aside from regular maintenance, the only thing I have replaced are the tires and battery. It has 220,000 and still has the original drive belt and the transmission fluid has never been changed. The mileage has never been all that great but it runs great. I got my moneys worth out of this truck.

Comment

I know nothing about a tundra but on the GM front. In the family we have a 97 Z71 with 275,000, a 04 3/4 4X4 GMC with 250,000, an 08 equinox with 230,000, a 16 1/2 ton chevy with 50,000, and a 17 3/4 4X4 GMC with 15,000. Other than rebuilding the transmission in the 97 last year no major issues with any of them. I cannot fuss about the 97 my middle daughter is hard on trucks. She has never seen a race that she did not think she could win...LOL.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X