No announcement yet.

Diesel starting in Cold Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you continually cycle your key multiple times you will eventually burn up your glow plug relay, they Burn up frequently and that may be your problem that your having now. There's a mod to put a much stouter relay in its place which should solve your problem. As far as the block heater goes you can leave it plug in as long as you would like. It's nice because typically within about two minutes of run time you will have heat.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
      If you are in League City, you shouldn't need to plug it in. Minnesota may be a different story.
      Might not be needed, but it's sure nice to have the heater blowing warm soon after startup.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
        I plug mine in a day ahead of time if I'm planning to drive it. Usually 35 degrees or lower. It starts a lot easier.

How is it that you are "clicking" the glow plugs? Mine is a 2000 7.3L and I have never seen a switch for turning on glow plugs.
        Cycle the ignition switch.

Comment

Oh and don't forget to unplug it.

Got close once.
          Now I lay part of the ext. chord over the side mirror.

Comment

If you have to cycle them, they aren't all working or the relay is messed up.
            Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
              On my old '89 F250, I found that if I shut the motor off with the defrost on, just enough heat from the block heater would keep my windsheid from icing up.
              Thats another bonus! Plus the heater will blow warm within just a minute or so of starting the truck.

Comment

Plug her in before you go to bed if its under 50deg. Ive ran several of the older strokes in the past and learned from experiance my friend! I was dating this chic a long time ago that luckily had a down stairs appartment and you should have seen the look on her face when i pulled the screen off and ran an ext cord through her bedroom window! You have to what she said!!lmao

Comment

Has anyone ever ran their block heater off of the trucks batteries, using a power inverter? Im wondering if I can do this when I stay out overnight, without dragging an extension cord with me or finding a plug.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                    Has anyone ever ran their block heater off of the trucks batteries, using a power inverter? Im wondering if I can do this when I stay out overnight, without dragging an extension cord with me or finding a plug.
                    I wouldn't do that. Most block heaters draw a lot of amps and your inverter needs to match the amperage draw. But I think that would toast your batteries in short order and even before your block ever gets warm.

All my experience is with a Cummins so no glow plugs but intake grid heaters, but I plug in whenever I want quick heat in the morning, and that's usually when it's in the 30s. For this engine, a good rule of thumb for block heater use is at least three hours. Regardless of engine, I don't think an hour is really going to do much and will only be a waste of electricity. A lot of guys buy timers to ensure their block heater kicks on during the night when needed. Saves a lot of electricity versus plugging in when you go to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                      I've read somewhere that block heaters are somewhere in the 1000-1500watt range.
                      That would require a pretty big inverter and would drain the batteries down in a few hours.
                      You'd probably wake up to a warm engine block, but wouldn't be able to crank it.

Comment

great info as always here on the green screen. thanks all.

Comment

I always plug my 2001 in when it gets below freezing. She still starts like a top but when it gets cold, she needs a little boost. The difference in starting ease and warmup time is worth the extra effort
                          Last edited by Smart; 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I plug my 06 dodge in at night when I get home and unplug it before I head out in the morning.. Anytime at 40 or below. Sure makes it nice when the truck is warm after 3-5 miles of driving instead of 20-30.

Comment

Originally posted by Extremebowman View Post
                              I plug mine in when it gets below freezing. Does it need it? Prolly not. But why cause any more stress than needed, it's easy to plug in. Plus it warms up faster IMO.
                              Same here.

I don't have a garage, so my truck sits outside, and it is nice to have some warm air blowing as quickly as possible.

I can't stand wearing a jacket while driving (I have an hour long commute) so I sit there and shiver until the truck warms up.

I just got through replacing everything in my fuel system in the last month. Injectors were worn out at 220k, then my lift pump started to fail which killed the injector pump.

My truck has never started easier, but it sure was expensive to get this result.

Comment

In the past with my cummins motors i always plugged them in when cold. My 03 duramax doesn't have a plug at least not one i could find It has started good through this cold spell. But im almost to work before the heater gets warm

Comment

Working...
                                X