Temp sensitive powders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
    Look at the Hodgdon Extreme powders, they are all about as temp stable as you can get.

^

This

I use H4895 and Varget in several calibers. There's always a recipe for them.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

IMR 4451 is the substitute Hogdon recommends for H4350. Its part of the Enduron line and they claim it's just as good, and in SOME cases, even Bette,r than H4350! I can't say I've tried it as I'm a mid-level hoarder and I've managed to maintain a decent back stock of H4350; but I will try it at some point and I'd have no hesitation. It's just as insensitive as H4350.

I like my Reloader powders but I ONLY use them in loads that are designed for similar temperatures and NEVER a winter load in the summer. For a few hundred yards it may not make a difference but if you have to take a really long shot, I want a load that I know won't be jumpy do to temperature. With the crazy temperature swings we get these days, I prefer the H4350 because I can have a hot and a cold load recipe and one of them will be darn near perfect for any temp Mother Nature throws at me. Just my preference.

Comment

IMR 4451 and RL 16 are good temp stable powders and will work well in the 260.

Personally I switched over to RL 26 in my 260 AI and have seen increased velocities, lower ES/SD, with the same pressures. I'm not sure that I'd really call it temp sensitive, loosing roughly 0.1fps/degree below 80 and almost unnoticeable change up to 96ish.

Comment

Working...
        X