Reloading: First Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading: First Attempt

Been wanting to do this for a while and finally starting acquiring everything I needed for it. This was my first test in testing seating depth all at the same charge.

Tikka T3 Lite .243
    Hornady Brass
    CCI 200 Primers
    37.5 grains of Varget
    87 grain Berger VLD

Top left is .010" off the lands
    Top right .030" off
    Bottom left .040" off
    Bottom right .050" off
    Middle .060" off

The shot to the right on the top left target is my fouler from a factory Hornady load.

Looks like I'm going to load another 4 at .010" and the jump to .005" and see what happens. Then off to charge weights. This is already addicting and I'm actually pretty pleased so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top left is .010" off

back .02 to 37.3 powder, if it opens, from 37.5 add .02, to 37.7 check again..
    if the back off works better go 37.2, or if .02 closes gaps add more to 37.7

1 stray could be human error too..

hope this helps
    Last edited by Jakesfish; 09-07-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I bought a reloader set up a few weeks ago, hornady lock n load cladsic with auto charge. I have not started yet. Trying to read up an learn. Very excited to see a new persons progress and groupings. Im looking at Varget as one of my powders as well. Trying to get my table set up.
      What rifle/twist/Barrel length? Good luck im following this

Comment

I promise the more you load the tighter you will group, and also will learn your gun characteristics....
        I have a 300 Savage loaded to 308 specs, and I love it.. 700 classic remy, from custom shop...

Comment

Originally posted by Jakesfish View Post
          Top left is .010" off

back .02 to 37.3 powder, if it opens, from 37.5 add .02, to 37.7 check again..
          if the back off works better go 37.2, or if .02 closes gaps add more to 37.7

1 stray could be human error too..

hope this helps
          Thanks for the advice! Book calls for 38.8 for a max load, so I'll probably try the load development up to that as well as a little below my current load. I just picked a 3/4 load for seating depth test. I will say I was shooting off bags on a card table which is the best table I have for now, so it's not optimal for precision shooting. Hope to fix that before long.

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
          I bought a reloader set up a few weeks ago, hornady lock n load cladsic with auto charge. I have not started yet. Trying to read up an learn. Very excited to see a new persons progress and groupings. Im looking at Varget as one of my powders as well. Trying to get my table set up.
          What rifle/twist/Barrel length? Good luck im following this
          That's the same set up I bought except without the auto charge. I've enjoyed it so far. I will say, my butt cheeks were a little puckered on the first pull of the trigger of the ammo I loaded lol. After that, the confidence got better that my gun wasn't going to blow up. I think the most important tool I've acquired for precision so far has been the Hornady Bullet Comparator. Really helps dial in on how for the ogive is off the lands. I noticed some bullets were as much as .005" difference in length so my COAL wasn't as precise as the CBTO measurement.

Tikka T3 Lite with a Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock, Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x

22" barrel with a 1/10 twist

Originally posted by Jakesfish View Post
          I promise the more you load the tighter you will group, and also will learn your gun characteristics....
          I have a 300 Savage loaded to 308 specs, and I love it.. 700 classic remy, from custom shop...
          This is what I'm hoping for! After lots of reading, I figured the closer to the lands, the better off I'd be, so that's why I'm jumping to .005". Will shoot that as well as another .010" group tomorrow afternoon and see what happens. Hope to start load testing this weekend. What I learned is that it's very intimidating at first, but I'm already loosening up a bit. I load for muzzleloader, so it's kind of the same feeling I guess. Can't say I'm expecting 1 hole groups with a factory rifle, but I believe the Tikka will get below .5 MOA once I find its poison.

Comment

Sleepy let me know if I can help. I have been doing it awhile and still learning, and I had a awesome teacher.

you should w/ time and work get to under .5 @ 200 yards easily...

Comment

Congratulations looks like your off to a great start! I love reloading and since you are just getting start d it's like you have all new guns again because now you can have the fun of finding new loads for each one of them!

Comment

You're missing one very vital piece. Velocity. You need to check your SD and all. Very helpful and shows how good a load really is

Comment

My technique was to nail down the depth setting first, then tinker with the charge. I think you are headed in the right direction. If the .005" off shows substantial improvement, I'd even try .000" as well. And, if memory serves me right, I worked up a load for one .243 that shot near bug-holes with the bullet seated .030" into the lands. This was with charges about 1 or 1.5 gr below max though. I wouldn't be eager to try it with a max charge.

Comment

Thanks all! I appreciate all the advice! I've already received a wealth of knowledge from a couple other TBHrs. Can't ever know too much!

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    You're missing one very vital piece. Velocity. You need to check your SD and all. Very helpful and shows how good a load really is
                    I do plan on setting up the chronograph once I start testing charge weights. I don't think I'll see a big change in velocity with seating depth from everything I'm reading.

Comment

Don't get hung up on 1 powder, my .243 doesn't like Varget. I tried some 4350 and was quickly able to work up a load that shoots 1 ragged hole @ 100yds

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        My technique was to nail down the depth setting first, then tinker with the charge. I think you are headed in the right direction. If the .005" off shows substantial improvement, I'd even try .000" as well. And, if memory serves me right, I worked up a load for one .243 that shot near bug-holes with the bullet seated .030" into the lands. This was with charges about 1 or 1.5 gr below max though. I wouldn't be eager to try it with a max charge.
                        This is good for a bench gun, not so much for a hunting rifle.

On a hunting rifle I wouldn't get much closer than 0.005 from the lands.

If at all possible get a quality chronograph to use during load work up.

Comment

I would stick with that seating depth for now and start incremental changes in the powder charge. Work up to the published maximum checking for signs of pressure. And get a chronograph!

Comment

I will be pulling the chronograph out once I start testing charge weights. I'm assuming that's when it really matters?

Right now I have 4 rounds loaded at .010" jump and 4 at a .005" jump. Should be testing them out at lunch or immediately following work today.

Oh yea, another thing. I am not doing any crimping. Not sure how much difference that could make, but I will potentially be trying that out as well as testing moves along.
                            Last edited by Sleepy; 09-08-2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                              I will be pulling the chronograph out once I start testing charge weights. I'm assuming that's when it really matters?

Right now I have 4 rounds loaded at .010" jump and 4 at a .005" jump. Should be testing them out at lunch or immediately following work today.

Oh yea, another thing. I am not doing any crimping. Not sure how much difference that could make, but I will potentially be trying that out as well as testing moves along.

Don't crimp

Comment

Working...
                              X