Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good notching platform.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170312_101604.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	24488942

Crushed, no good platform.

Name:	20170312_101553.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24488943

Comment

When things are going right on notching we can take two smaller flakes,(red lines) to help build the platform and remember flakes like to follow ridges so removing these two small flakes sets up a ridge(yellow line) for our bigger flake to follow. Remember all these flakes are being pushed off the bottom side of this point.

Name:	20170125_132031 - Copy.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	24488945
      Jason mentioned earlier some people can tell where and how a flake was removed by the type of flake. Notching flakes are usually smaller and good notching flake have a "C" shape to them with some curvature to it. These are not very good examples but in the biggest flake you can see what I mean by curvature.

Name:	20170125_133716.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	24488946

Name:	20170125_133644.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	24488948

Comment

A few more pics of a notching platform set and ready for a flake removal.

Name:	20170125_132122.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	24488950

Name:	20170125_132031.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	24488951

In this last one(sorry not a very good pic.)hopefully you can see how the platform is lower than centerline of the notch.

Name:	20170125_132051.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	24488952

Comment

It seems I have cursed myself since we started this thread and I have broken or just flat out couldn't make a point for the last few weeks! That's part of the reason why I was so excited how the glass point was going!
          Anyhow, here is an OK obsidian point I did a few weeks ago.

Name:	20170119_180423.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	24488953

Name:	20170119_180529.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	24488954

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
            Those things happen, all the time to me, lol.

Bassmat, package will be sent when we get back home. We are trying to negotiate this weather thing right now. Still in Texas tho.
            Thanks! Safe travels!

Comment

I've googled, but haven't been able to find out exactly what the Indian said when he broke a point like that. I'd love to know some Comanche or Cherokee curse words. It seems like a knapping essential.

Comment

Look what came in the mail...a box from John!

Name:	IMG_0438.JPG
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	24490389
                Cholla,for some knife handles! I hope I can do it some justice!

Name:	IMG_0439.JPG
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	24490390
                And some bonus obsidian slabs! Sweet! Thanks John!

Name:	IMG_0441.JPG
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	24490391

Comment

I haven't been able to do any knapping lately because of family health issues. Hoping to get back to doing some knapping soon!

Comment

Took long enough to get there, dang USPS BUT more important, family first. Prayers sent for healing.

Comment

.....family first. Prayers sent for healing.
                      Thanks, Jon. Family has been improving and I might try and see what I can do with some of that obsidian tomorrow?

Comment

Same here, no recent knapping due to twin wrangling. I've also had in-laws in town helping, which has generated quite a few construction projects with my father in law. We've built a water tower and pulled a windmill to replace perforated pipe, plus a half a dozen small projects.

Comment

You young bucks think your busy now just wait until you retire, LOL I did a lot of knapping while in the rv park in Texas but don't quite know how to post photo's. I got a kick out of the folks around us trying to figure out why I was beating my left leg with a small club.

Comment

You young bucks think your busy now just wait until you retire, LOL I did a lot of knapping while in the rv park in Texas but don't quite know how to post photo's. I got a kick out of the folks around us trying to figure out why I was beating my left leg with a small club.
                            If you want them posted I can put them up for you. PM being sent.

Comment

Posting a pic for Jon.
                              This is some of his points, I'll let him fill us in on them.
                              Some really sweet looking rock!

Name:	Jon Stewart.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	24490669

Comment

Thanks Matt for posting the photo's The first point is Brenda agate, then petrified wood, fake opal glass and another unknown name agate. The top blade is obsidian My favorite rock is wood when you can find it to knap and mookite from Australia. The wood point has a silver cross in the middle (as you can see ) and I made it for my wife who wears it as a necklace.

To me the best hunting point rock is good old Pedernales or Georgetown.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X