No announcement yet.

Diesel starting in Cold Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I'm in Iowa and I park my 01 7.3 in the insulated shop so starting in the morning isn't the problem. Its when it sits outside all day at work and the temperature is only 5 degrees, like today. What do you do then? So of the post earlier say not to cycle the glow plugs, but that is what I was always told to do in really cold weather. Now I'm really confused.

mole

Comment

Originally posted by mole View Post
      OK, I'm in Iowa and I park my 01 7.3 in the insulated shop so starting in the morning isn't the problem. Its when it sits outside all day at work and the temperature is only 5 degrees, like today. What do you do then? So of the post earlier say not to cycle the glow plugs, but that is what I was always told to do in really cold weather. Now I'm really confused.

mole
      I have a cord ran outside of our shop and have my truck plugged in during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
        1996 7.3 F250 starting in the morning needs 3 clicks of the glow pulp (new one installed last year).

So how many of you plug your block warmers in? How long does it need to be plugged in? At what temps do you start plugging it in?
        I leave mine plugged in when it's really cold never had any problems starting

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
          In the past with my cummins motors i always plugged them in when cold. My 03 duramax doesn't have a plug at least not one i could find It has started good through this cold spell. But im almost to work before the heater gets warm
          My 02 Duramax has one, so I'm sure yours does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            My 02 Duramax has one, so I'm sure yours does as well.
            Look at this thread for a few ideas on where its located. Most likely the element is threaded into the location for the freeze plug.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-s-it-at/page4

Comment

Diesel starting in Cold Weather

Originally posted by mole View Post

mole
              You can cycle them... I think what folks are suggesting is they only have so many cycles over a lifetime so the more you use them the quicker they will go bad. I cycle mine twice out of habit if I forget to plug it in and its below freezing. I am still on my original set. 2001 250K miles.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                1996 7.3 F250 starting in the morning needs 3 clicks of the glow pulp (new one installed last year).

So how many of you plug your block warmers in? How long does it need to be plugged in? At what temps do you start plugging it in?

Plug it in when it is cold enough to give you problems. Cycling glow plugs and all that cranking is more expensive than the electricity that the plug draws. Get a timer and have it come on for an hour or so before you leave for work.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                  I plug mine in a day ahead of time if I'm planning to drive it. Usually 35 degrees or lower. It starts a lot easier.

How is it that you are "clicking" the glow plugs? Mine is a 2000 7.3L and I have never seen a switch for turning on glow plugs.

The Wait to Start Light is the glow plug timer. Cycle the key off and on and the WTS light will come on again and will energize the relay for the glow plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Bmarsh9 View Post
                    If you continually cycle your key multiple times you will eventually burn up your glow plug relay, they Burn up frequently and that may be your problem that your having now. There's a mod to put a much stouter relay in its place which should solve your problem. As far as the block heater goes you can leave it plug in as long as you would like. It's nice because typically within about two minutes of run time you will have heat.
                    Block heater elements burn up too.

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                      Look at this thread for a few ideas on where its located. Most likely the element is threaded into the location for the freeze plug.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-s-it-at/page4
                      Thanks. I just went out and crawled all around it didnt find it oh well it started fine at 21 degrees this morn. Im not gona drive it after today its for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                        I have a cord ran outside of our shop and have my truck plugged in during the day.
                        I did this for awhile and got in trouble with the maintenance supervisor. We have to be "fair" to everyone and he didn't want cords all over the place. Funny thing was, I was the only person who drove a diesel.

Thanks Smart. That's usually what I do. I try not to drive it when its brutal cold, but usually when its that cold it is usually snowing and I need the truck to get to work since my road is one of the last to get plowed.

mole

Comment

Owned 7.3s from 1994 to my 2003. Check your batteries cranking amps, be sure both batteries are new at the same time. Check glow plug harness be sure you are getting no less then 14 volts. I don't have to plug mine in until it gets below freezing. Good luck.

Comment

I plug my 97 stroker in when it gets below 40 degrees. Does it need it no, but you will have heat alot faster and you won't have to let it idle for 10 mins(on high idle 1100rpm) befor leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                              How is it that you are "clicking" the glow plugs? Mine is a 2000 7.3L and I have never seen a switch for turning on glow plugs.
                              x2

Comment

Read most of the posts.
                                Being from Iowa and Michigan.
                                Below freezing plug it in.
                                I was taught to plug it in when your done driving.
                                That way block heater only has to MAINTAIN temperature not BRING up too temperature.

I bought my first car in 1989 I parked on the side of our house. In the fall I'd run a heavy duty outdoor extension cord over there to plug it in. The extension would stay out til spring thaw. My car stayed plugged in so did my moms ford econoline van and dads chevy van c20....

Comment

Working...
                                X