No announcement yet.

DIY Bass Lake....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you plan on transplanting any larger bass??

Comment

No larger bass. Just let the fingerings eat their way to the top of the food chain.

Comment

Incredibly beautiful lake. What kind of bass did they stock?

Have they thought of feed trained bass? We bought some 5 years ago and they are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Incredibly beautiful lake. What kind of bass did they stock?

Have they thought of feed trained bass? We bought some 5 years ago and they are awesome.
          I don't know what kind of Bass they were, but I'm curious what feed trained bass are.

Comment

I know that you said no catfish, but can I suggest a few channel catfish. The reason for this is you are going to get mudcats from some where no matter what you do. Channel cats are a natural predator to mudcats. They eat the eggs, etc. Channels are not bad about over populating a still water impoundment, but mud cats really are. I had one 10 acre pond when I bought my place that had so many that you caught them all day on spinner baits. I added soem channels and cleaned them up pretty well. Never catch a small one any more. The only ones left are the ancient world record sized mud cats that become buzzard bait when we catch one.
            I've followed this along and that truly is a magnificent project and a great testament to you for documenting it. Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by Ride_Klein View Post
              I don't know what kind of Bass they were, but I'm curious what feed trained bass are.
              They are bass that have been started on eating pelleted food just like a catfish, etc...

We had Northern strain feed-trained bass and once they were big enough we switched from smaller pellets to much larger Aquamax Largemouth pellet. The fish grew like crazy but since they are Northern Strain they never have reached the size of Florida strain. By the start of the 3rd year they were 4 pounds. Now we still have a few that are around 8 pounds. They were alot of fun to catch and you could not catch them while feeding pellets. They simply wouldn't bite.

But when you didn't feed them they would hit a lure like crazy. They eat both pellets and natural forage.

Comment

How big is this Lake/pond?

Comment

Those feed trained bass sound like just the ticket for a slump buster kind of day.

Total water is between 7 and 8 acres I believe.

Comment

Feed trained slump busters.....that reminds me of 2AM at the Longhorn Saloon. "Who wants to go to Waffle House?"

Should have trade marked it I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Feed trained slump busters.....that reminds me of 2AM at the Longhorn Saloon. "Who wants to go to Waffle House?"

Should have trade marked it I guess.
                      The longhorn saloon is a slump busting mecca.

Comment

Lake did well over the summer. Forage fish, frogs, and insects really like shallows and the area on the other side of the culverts is a staging area for frog invasion forces.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141001_111507.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	24334314

Tilapia are growing well. Lots of big fish and tilapia spawn. Hope they can make it through the winter.

Name:	imagejpeg_2.jpg
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	24334315

First bass caught. Not sure if this is the biggest one out there, but the 1.5"-1.75" fry went in June 18th. Hopefully they are all eating as well as this one.

Name:	imagejpeg_1.jpg
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	24334316

Comment

Nice work Ride,
                          Im sure you will be doing great in a few more years with the fishing.
                          My Brother in Law has a ranch out in Kossee that they built a 10 acre lake. Has everything bass need to grow huge. The deepest part is near the dam which is almost 30' deep. Its nice to catch big slabs like these when the deer aren't moving much
                          Attached Files

Comment

Forage Fish

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            Last edited by Ride_Klein; 10-08-2014, 01:20 PM. Reason: Used to know how to get youtube videos to show up in the post....

Comment

Originally posted by Ride_Klein View Post
                              Holly cow that's a lot of food for the bass right there. Primed for good results in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                                Nice work Ride,
                                Im sure you will be doing great in a few more years with the fishing.
                                My Brother in Law has a ranch out in Kossee that they built a 10 acre lake. Has everything bass need to grow huge. The deepest part is near the dam which is almost 30' deep. Its nice to catch big slabs like these when the deer aren't moving much
                                That looks like a great lake. Hope y'all keep pulling lunker from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X